7mm Rem Mag load for Elk size game at 700 yards.

Up until last season I hunted elk exclusively with a 300 win mag and Barnes 180gr TTSX. I loved hunting with that lightweight 4.5lb rifle but it beat me to death practicing at the range.
For 2016 I switched to the 7mm mag shooting 178 Hornady ELD-X handloads at 2912 fps.
This Nevada bull didn't seem to know the difference and neither did the two mule deer and two antelope bucks!
I'm predominantly an elk hunter and agree 110% they are tough SOBs. Regardless, they all died the same way; I shoot them, they stand there for a few seconds and begin to tip over or sit and drop.
I've just had Dane Miller at DMR in Vegas build up a 6.5 CM I'll use for mule deer and antelope this year. I'll keep the 7mm for elk and not hesitate to take any shot out to 700-800 yards mostly because my skill set is not quite there yet to confidently shoot an animal beyond that and even then it will have to be the "right conditions" at the moment.

~Robert

Attachments

• Nevada_Bull_Elk.jpg
    Nevada_Bull_Elk.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Hunting_Colllage_2016.jpg
    Hunting_Colllage_2016.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 150
Those are some nice trophies Rob! Especially that bull... What was his score?

Also, it's good to see someone admitting unbiased real-world experience, and that with proper shot placement and similar bullet weights, there is not any noticeable difference in the killing power of the 7mmRM and .300 WinMag. That has been a very hot-button debate topic on here for many years, and many-a-thread.

I have both cartridges as well, but I will always prefer my 7mm cartridges, with the exception of the .308 Win, that's a classic, but the 7mm-08 is also a favorite of mine. There's just something "magical" about a 7mm. :cool:

Up until last season I hunted elk exclusively with a 300 win mag and Barnes 180gr TTSX. I loved hunting with that lightweight 4.5lb rifle but it beat me to death practicing at the range.
For 2016 I switched to the 7mm mag shooting 178 Hornady ELD-X handloads at 2912 fps.

Did your .300 WM sports a muzzle brake or suppressor like your 7MM RM is sporting?

I hunted with my first .300 WM (now have 3) for 20+ years before I installed a muzzle brake in 2003; granted it is not a 4.5 lbs rifle (weight is your friend when it comes to recoil) but the felt recoil is similar to .243's. I am not recoil sensitive but most of my rifles now sports a muzzle brake or suppressor including non-magnums.

Bullet placement is key and I think its been said a lot!!! The 7mm will kill an elk, a 300win will kill an elk as will a 54cal muzzle-loader. Im heading to Idaho this fall with 162 nosler partitions I think they will do just fine if put in the hart/lung area. You are trying to harvest a large animal that is tough as nails, it may not go "drt" but it might, there is no rime or reason why. My suggestion is to practice as mush as you can an deliver the best shot you can, if it doent work out...... thats hunting, you wont be the first and you wont be the last. good luck and happy hunting!!!!gun)

That is quite an impressive bull Robert! Were those kills all in Nv.? If so, what area?

Re muzzle brakes- I had EA Brown install one on my 7RM so I would enjoy shooting it more and because I realized that as you go up the recoil scale, the exact amount of resistance and the way you hold it becomes more and more critical to consistence/accuracy. I concur, it now has about the same recoil, maybe a little more, of my standard 243 Xbolt which is tack a driving joy to shoot all day.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.