7mm Rem Mag Ammo for Elk??

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by shamu2240, Jun 13, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. OhYtD

OhYtD Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's a 7mm magnum or some type. My dad hunted for years with nothing BUT the 160 gr. Nosler Partition. Hard to go wrong with that bullet in any 7mm. I use Partitions a lot myself and know you cannot go wrong with them. Another excellent bullet would be a 160 gr. Accubond. I have done water jug testing for penetration, expansion, and weight retention on both Accubonds and Partitions to 500 yards and they both performed perfectly.

160 gr. Partition
    160 gr. Accubond
    Choose the one your rifle likes best.

BigGriz and Frog4aday like this.
  2. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

This stuff rivals my best handloads in a couple of rifles.

Tatsnscoots and WildRose like this.
  3. JCow14

JCow14 Member

I shot an elk last year with a 168 accubond with no problems went thru the lungs. I don't know if Nosler makes the 168 in factory loads but the Accubonds are great on game.

4. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Should have been on my list. I've shot a fair bit of the TTSX ammo at hogs and it performed very well.

You have to be careful though with older factory rifles and slow twist barrels though so be sure you have enough twist to stabilize the bullet chosen.

5. WildRose

He's about half right. Premium factory ammo is loaded to much higher and more consistent standards than the cheap stuff.

6. WildRose

I'd leave the GMX of of that list. I've had way too much trouble with them just penciling through in 7mm, .30 cal, and .375 even on big boars.

I lost a big buck with a full length body shot that entered mid sternum and exited just below and to the right of the anus leaving only about a half inch exit wound. That round was fired from the .375.

He acted as though he hadn't even been hit, disappeared onto the neighbor's property who found him half eaten by a coyote two days later.