7mm mag best of both worlds bullet?

Deederswy

Hey everyone,

last year i had a pretty good combo running H1000 and the 168vld, the problem is i cant find either now so im looking to start a new load. I found 4 pounds of IMR4350, which i heard works great in the 7mags, now im looking for a new bullet. I have shot the 160 SGK's in the past with good accracy but i think im wanting something with a higher BC. Im starting to stetch it out there further, not near as far as some but 880 is my goal this year, so i want something that will fly well and is proven very accurate, AND is great for dropping elk. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Mudrunner,
I'm about to start that same load but with regular 7828. May I ask where u got ur starting point and what is ur starting grains?

I used to use 7828 with the 160 GK's...the problem is I can't find any 7828 or 168VLD's...that's why I had to pick up some IMR4350 and I'm asking about a good load with that...

I used to use 7828 with the 160 GK's...the problem is I can't find any 7828 or 168VLD's...that's why I had to pick up some IMR4350 and I'm asking about a good load with that...

Loads aren't universal...What works in mine probably won't shoot the same in yours. Your best bet is to buy a Berger manual, and work up and fine-tune your own load from there.

Mudrunner,
I'm about to start that same load but with regular 7828. May I ask where u got ur starting point and what is ur starting grains?
Regular 7828 and 7828 SSC have the exact same burn rate. The difference is that SSC (Super-Short Cut) is shorter cut granuals so it meters easier and more accurate.

According to the Berger manual it says start at 59.0gr. and max load is 65.3gr.

Yea I have the Berger manual. I know its cut different, I got three pounds of 7828 regular cut. I was just wondering ...thanks!

A load I shot years ago in a 7mag was 63.5-64 grns of IMR 4350, CCI 250 mag primer, 160 Sierra Gameking. Shot bug hole groups in a 24" barrel. That was 30 yrs ago so with technology today it could be better. Just my 2cts!

DT

Ive loaded the 160 GK's before and they were great, BC isn't where I would like it, but they were very accurate, considered going back to them....has anyone considered the 175 GK's? Or would the added weight be too much and take too much velocity away? I would get a better BC but worse velocities....

Ive loaded the 160 GK's before and they were great, BC isn't where I would like it, but they were very accurate, considered going back to them....has anyone considered the 175 GK's? Or would the added weight be too much and take too much velocity away? I would get a better BC but worse velocities....

I've got some 175 GK's, an some 180 SMK's that I was gonna use in another build(that has been put on hold for now)but I am gonna try em in my 7 rem mag. I'm getting it rebarreled, so when I get it back I'm gonna try em! I have heard that if you are gonna shoot the bigger grn bullets in a 7mag that it would benefit to have a true 1-9 twist or tighter to stabilize them. (That's just what I've heard) mabey there's someone on here that has more expertes with the bigger bullets. Like I said earlier, I've shoot the 160 GK's for years an love em! Sorry to get long winded! :)

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.