Best longrange hunting bullet for 7mm mag?

I've used the 162 A-Max quite a bit on whitetails. Shot from the 7STW & 7WSM they kill like lightening. Near or far, DEAD. Shoulder shots or lungs, DEAD.

The A-Max is inexpensive, easy to find and very accurate in every rifle I have used them in. They also kill game from groundhogs to whitetails with no problem.

For whatever it's worth, the 180 VLD's also kill quickly but I have limited "on game" experience with them.

I have used the 162 A-Max at 3020 fps in my 7WSM on two antelope hunts with great results, both goats took one shot each. Notice the damage on the goat pictured. The shot was head on and hit the breast bone at about 134 yards or so. The second goat was a side shoulder, but did not do nearly as much damage. The inside were liquefied on both animals.

Attachments

• Ant 2  9-12.jpg
    Ant 2 9-12.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 89
Yea , I am alittle concerned about sectional density with the 162 Amax. I want to use the highest coefficiat HUNTING bullet available. My intension are using this for elk at ranges up to 1000 yrds.

I don't have a lot of exposure with the 162 A-Max, but I would personally not use it for elk. I would use the Berger 180 VLD or Hybrid. That's just me though, elk are big animals and I would feel better with the 180's, especially at that range!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.