Best Hunting bullet for mid range distance - 7mm SAUM

The Berger 180vld has accounted for 6 elk, 1 wolf and several deer out to 780 some yards in my saum. Shooting sub moa at 2960 with a 26" proof barrel.

I have a Remington 7saum Alaskan 24 barrel 168 vld hunting bergers using hodgons 4831sc it's a short action if I load for them to fit the magazine you have a big jump to the lans but they shoot about a 3/8 group 2790fps anything over 2850 it's shoots 1/2 or a little more I slowed it down for accuracy if u run them single shot touching lans u get bug holes

I have rem7 as well. I dual load for it. 140gr ttsx at 3100 for 0 to 400 and 162 a-max ( could be swapped with eldm or x) for the longer stuff.

Why are the 140 TTSX or Hammers used for 4-500 yds and then switching to other bullets for longer ranges?
Do they not shoot accurate at longer ranges or not perform well on killing animals out there?

The monolithic bullets need a faster speed to achieve good expansion and transmit their energy. Because their bc is not the highest they quickly loose speed over the longer distance and become not so effective.

That is where a bullet like a 7mm Amax or eldm can catch up with the job, as they tend to open too violently at shorter distance but can do a very good job between 400 to 700/800 ( or more but that is my personal limit).

I'm helping a buddy build a mid-range all around mountain rifle in 7mm SAUM. Trying to get some real world feedback on bullet performance on mule deer, elk, sheep, antelope, bear etc.

I know we can get the bergers to shoot well, but not sure on their performance on big game - looking at the 168 vld's or 175 elites.

Also considering the 162gr hornady ELDX, 175gr ELDX and 160gr Nosler Accubonds.

Planning to run them in the normal velocity range of 2,750-2,950 fps, depending on the bullet, powder, etc.

Any feedback on these bullets and their performance on big game would be really helpful!
175 Elite are fantastic bullets for the 7 SAUM. Accurate and perform well at all velocities from 100 yard to 1100 on game.

I'm running 168g ABLR in a 7STW, works great up close or way out there.
For general in close work, you can't go wrong with a 160g Accubond, very accurate and has great terminal performance.

Cheers.

I shoot 168 Classic Hunters in mine because it's built on a short action and profile lends itself to that application
I've not shot any game with them yet (way too many guns currently) but it does shoot sub 1/2 MOA out as far as I've shot it which is 850 yards
23" barrel 2840 FPS

The 180 grain Berger hunting VLD does great for me. 2 yrs ago in Africa I think it was 14 dead animals. That included 3 eland. All but 1 were 1 shot kills. Running about 2900 fps. Headed back to africa next month and thats what I'm using. As long as you clean the tips out and don't run them at stupid speed they kill very well.
Bruce