Best longrange hunting bullet for 7mm mag?

hmbleservant

What bullet gets me the MOST RANGE on big game? I was considering the following (feel free to add to the list if you have a better bullet): 180 vld, 168 vld, 162 amax. Which would be the best option for deer? Elk?---at the farthest range. How far can I reach out with 26" barrel.

I am ok with having a different bullet for the close range shots so that I don't compromise my ability to reach out as far as possible with my long-range load.

Thanks

180 Berger Hybrid. On elk to as far as you can keep them in a 12" circle. But I would give it a personal limit on elk to 1000. Don't worry about in close. Just place them well and they die.

Jeff

Alright broz, I'm sure you're about to learn me something, but I have to ask anyway. Why are you suggesting one of the Berger bullets that are not "hunting" bullets? Can I really trust the hybrid for reliable terminal performance on game? I'm guessing that you have used them successfully...is this the experience of most shooters with this bullet? Thanks for explaining.

Jeff tried out the 215gr 30cal haybrid this year on game with wild success. Jeff's results are a large reason why I am going to try the 180gr Hyrbrid. You can figure 180gr Hybrid out of a 7mag in dense atmospheric conditions at about 2500ft will reach 1k still moving at 1800fps, and carrying 1300+lbs of energy.

Alright broz, I'm sure you're about to learn me something, but I have to ask anyway. Why are you suggesting one of the Berger bullets that are not "hunting" bullets? Can I really trust the hybrid for reliable terminal performance on game? I'm guessing that you have used them successfully...is this the experience of most shooters with this bullet? Thanks for explaining.

Through my own real field experience I have learned that if you want the most from any bullet,,,, Get over the " Target" "Hunting" "Premium" " Magical super Sonic" or any other label that may be placed on them. Learn how it is constructed, how it works at your rifles velocity, how it will react close or far etc. Then use it to your best advantage. Your post specifically asked for a "Long Range" 7mm hunting bullet. For long range I first want long range accuracy and low drift, so High BC is a must. Then I want a bullet that will expand and fragment so if your point of impact is off, damage is still done. If it gives you some kind of comfort in using a bullet that is labeled " Hunting" then use the 180 HVLD. I would never recommend a bullet I have not tested, we have taken coyotes, antelope, deer and elk out to 907 yards with the 7mm 180 Hybrid. To me a bullet that I have seen hammer a Bull elk at long range is indeed a "Hunting" bullet. If fact, I was blown away with how the 215 Hybrids hammered 19 big game animals from 200 yards to 1285 yards for us this year all dead with only a few or no steps at all.

To some long range may be 500 yards. To others it may be 1000. You asked for the most range you could get and also named elk. That to me is a no brainer. Accuracy, low drift, expansion and as big of a weight as I could get.

Really guys, the name is on the label, it's what the bullet does when in the field that counts. I only shoot "Target Bullets" at targets and I only shoot "Hunting Bullets" at game. But 100% of the time they are the same bullet.:)

Jeff

PS: Joe mentioned this thread. You can see for yourself my results. Also know I hunted for years prior with the 210 HVLD from the same rifle and on the same game animals. We have done the same comparison with the 7mm 180 HVLD and the 180 Hybrids. Just not to the extent we did with the 215's. But enough I feel confident in recommending them.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/cmparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

the best bullet ?
the one YOUR rifle likes.
the one YOU can shoot the best.
the one YOU can put where it belongs at the range YOU can shoot it repeadedly.

Great explanation Broz.

I am curious about these bullets too. With that hybrid, could I get them to fit in my magazine on my Sendero?

I am an H1000/215 match or CCI 250 fan specifically, I've had great luck with them. Just curious what kind of performance guys are getting with the 180's.

I'll keep you posted, I'm working up a load with the 180gr Hybrids now. All Iv'e done so far is look for pressures. I loaded up 10 starting at 68gr of retumbo, and increased each charge by 0.5gr. I stopped shooting at 71.5gr. The 1st round being on a clean barrel went high but the other 6 different charges all stayed inside of an inch. I'll clarify I shot all 7 at the same POA and got a group barring the 1st of under and inch with each shot at a different charge weight. I wasn't even trying to shoot a group just looking for pressures, yea I was floored with what I saw, I'm really really wanting to know what the end load will capable of.

CMON weather warm up a little lol:)

Shoot what you have the most confidence in. I would not be comfortable with a bullet I was afraid to put right through the shoulder so I would shoot the 160 accubonds

What kind of velocities are you getting from the 180's? I've never shot the 180's but have alot of experience with the 168 VLD. I never went to the 180 b/c I thought that going with a higher bc, but a lower velocity would kind of make it a wash. Is this true?

yes and no. In general lighter bullets carry a velocity advantage, but after some distance the heavier Higher BC bullet catches up, as for wind drift the heavier bullet almost always bucks the wind better at any distance, and the heavier bullet will generally carry more energy at all ranges.

As for my MV, I have no Idea I've only started load workup.

What is yor load with 180 VLD bullets I am looking to try them out.also what is your COAL. I will start a few grains less and work up

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts