Best 175 grain hunting bullet for 7mm RM

It seems everyone is hyped on heavy for caliber bullets. I am not there yet. I just purchased some 143 hammers and WOW was I surprised at the accuracy right out the door. I will take accuracy over size and speed anytime. 3rd load produced a .430 group. The largest was .843. Right now my go to is 69 gr. of 7828 @3100+ fps. With the 143's.

It seems everyone is hyped on heavy for caliber bullets. I am not there yet. I just purchased some 143 hammers and WOW was I surprised at the accuracy right out the door. I will take accuracy over size and speed anytime. 3rd load produced a .430 group. The largest was .843. Right now my go to is 69 gr. of 7828 @3100+ fps. With the 143's.

Try some RE26 with that Hammer and you'll be closing in on 3,300 ft/sec. I was averaging 1.8" @ 400yds in my 7WSM.

And, as others have said, the Berger 175EH is a surprisingly accurate bullet even in a finicky rifle like mine. (Thanks B-LOT)

What I like about something like a 180 is that I can start it off a little slower and have it stay in its optimal impact velocity window longer. It seems like the Bergers, ELD-M, and even ELD-X bullets fail more often from too-high impact velocity than from too-slow. I get great wind performance, don't worry about blowing up a 160 class bullet on a close in shoulder shot, and still get great expansion as far as I care to shoot an animal because a .349 G7 lets it hold that velocity for a long time. Bonus points for high sectional density that helps with good penetration. They don't shoot very flat, but I've never gotten a sudden gust of gravity. I get .5-.75 moa at 600 reasonably consistently, which is as far as I shoot groups on paper. Steel past that is consistent as well.

I know I could start a 140 mono way faster and have great close-in performance, but they slow down quickly and need velocity for expansion.

I'm definitely open to hearing why my logic is flawed, if someone has an argument in favor of doing something different.

Is there no love for the sierra 175 spitzer boat tail game king?

It looks like I'm going to find out how the 190 hybrid Berger works this fall...
I shoot a 1968 era rem 700, and I took my last Elk with a 175 gr. SGK. They are not as popular in this age of high bc, polymer tip, bonded bullets, but they work

I know I could start a 140 mono way faster and have great close-in performance, but they slow down quickly and need velocity for expansion.

I'm definitely open to hearing why my logic is flawed, if someone has an argument in favor of doing something different.
It depends on what you call "close-in", but I think a 140 mono of the right type could have enough velocity to expand to maybe 6 or 700 yards from a 7 mag. It's definitely not as long range capable as a heavy lead bullet, but still farther than 98% of most of our shots will ever be.

This season I'll be hunting with 175 Bergers at 2990 in my 7 Max, and 143 Hammers at 3440 in my 7 STW. I most likely won't take any shots over 4 or 500 yards, but I'm interested to see how they both do.

Never had any luck w/Nosler ABLR. No consistency. Always get a flyer when shooting 5 at a target. Prefer the traditional AB - not giving up much BC or go to the ELDX from Hornaday or the Berger hunting VLD if you are chasing BC

Well I can say the Berger 175 EH works very well.
Snuck up to 140 yards on a bull, steep downhill shot. Velocity at impact was about 2570 fps.
One shot, he turned and went 5 yards and tipped over in 15 seconds. Done. Lungs and heart were shredded.
I'm a believer….

Well I can say the Berger 175 EH works very well.
Snuck up to 140 yards on a bull, steep downhill shot. Velocity at impact was about 2570 fps.
One shot, he turned and went 5 yards and tipped over in 15 seconds. Done. Lungs and heart were shredded.
I'm a believer….
Awesome. 5 days and we will be in the hills chasing bulls and using 175's. I tried the 180's in the last couple weeks. They just don't shoot as well in my rifles. So going back to the ole trusty 175's. Love that bullet.

shredded lungs…

Attachments

• B085206D-B8B7-4FFA-A3B7-9333D8D7EA5A.jpeg
    B085206D-B8B7-4FFA-A3B7-9333D8D7EA5A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 82
  • 572B1CC5-E5F6-43ED-AFE8-A9DCD9A1A93F.jpeg
    572B1CC5-E5F6-43ED-AFE8-A9DCD9A1A93F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 83