7mm Cutting Edge Bullets

Capstick

Does anyone on here have experience with the 160 or 170 grain CE bullets? I am curious to see how they preform.

I have been thinking about these for my 7mag as well. Seems these would be a good choice for elk in 7mm. Spendy, but there really is nothing else available in a high bc tough hunting bullet. 160 Accubond or a ttsx are all right but they don't have the bc. These have a high bc like the bergers but should be a better option when shot angle isn't perfect.

Just to update as there seems to be very little info on the 7mm CE bullets, and to bump. I got a hundred of the 160gr. I figured I would need 50 or so for load development.

The first thing I noticed was these are longer than the 168 Berger VLDs. I started 1 grain under my VLD accuracy load with H-4831sc and went up in half grain increments. I seated bullets to CEs recommended length. I loaded 4 different loads (3 of each) and shot at 333 yards.
First group shot a 1.68" group. Next two groups were just under 3", still under 1 moa at 333 yards. The highest load had a sticky bolt so I only shot 1 of them.

I loaded up 10 more of the very first load. I shot 3 at 100 yards to chronagraph again. Wowsa! One hole about .320 outside.
Shot 4 more at 333. Had a 3-7mph cross wind this time so I held 1 moa for wind. 3 shots were under a half inch with the 4th about an inch right opening the group up to 1.4". Vertical spread was .75" at 333 yards.

So my load ended up 63.5 gr h-4831sc at 2940fps. My VLD load is 64.5 gr H-4831sc at 2900. Great thing is they have the same point of impact all the way out to 428 yards (according to ballistic program they should track the same to 1000 yards!) I haven't shot these past 428 yet due to the extreme fire hazard in my long range shooting spot. If I shoot both at the same paper target you can tell which bullet is which because the CEs don't leave a black circle.

So far I am blown away with the accuracy of these bullets and can't wait to try on game this fall.
Testing was done in a custom 7mm rem. It took way more rounds to get the VLD load where I want it. After this season I'd like to try these at max velocity with H-1000 or Retumbo. I'll stick with max consistency for now!

That is pretty much what I found. Extremely accurate without much fuss. Saves a lot of time and money not having to load all those rounds varying the seating depth a few thousanths each time trying to find the sweet spot. These are just not that critical. Saves a lot on barrel wear also with the big magnums while working up loads.

In my 300 winchester I just dropped the powder charge two grains and seated them 25 thousanths deeper to load better and they are still deadly accurate.

Hey LTLR, you using these in a your tikkas (300 win or wsm)? Just wondering which one of these (if any) will fit in those short magazines.

I also have some of the 160gr 7mm bullets that I am loading for a 284 Win throated for VLD's. Any suggestions for seating depths? Many thanks.

I also loaded them to the recommended length. Load development was fast in my factory browning lrh. We have shot a mule deer at 507 and an antelope at 475 this year, and the bullets performed well. Both bullets passed trough leaving round 1.5 inch holes for exit wounds. The bullet broke the off shoulder on the mule deer. I think I will continue to use these bullets for elk, and find a load with the bergers for deer and antelope. I like the bang flop berger effect out of my 6.5.

My 7mag has a Mcgowen barrel. I get hardly any fowling at all from either bullet. I have only shot 40 or so of the CEs, I cleaned with Tetra after 30 shots and had hardly any copper at all. These CEs are spendy so I don't think I'll ever fire more than 10 or so a year now that its dialed. I'll probably use Bergers for deer and antelope in the future but this year I'll test the CEs on everything.

Another update: Shot a buck antelope last weekend with the cutting edge 160. Not long range, but had a straight on chest shot at 200 yards and decided this would be a good opportunity to test these bullets. Shot angle was downhill slightly. Hit him center of chest, bullet made a mess and exited out his stomach then went completely through his hind leg about five inches above his knee. Due to warm weather I took him to a meat processor before skinning. So I don't have a full report. All I know is at least part of that bullet went most of the way length wise through that antelope exited and went through some more bone and exited again.
Elk season starts tomorrow and I can't wait to do some further testing!

For the price, they should not only kill your elk, they should skin it and pack it back to camp. Cut the firewood and make sure your whiskey glass is never empty.

:D

I know this is an older post but any updates ? I shoot 160 accubonds in 7mm Allen mag and was considering using these bullets. Use the 225 CE in my 338 lapua and they work amazing.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.