7mm 183 Sierra MatchKing

bigmo101

7mm 183 Sierra MatchKing
I thinking about giving the 183 smk a try in my 7mm Rem Mag. Anyone tried them out yet? I know Sierra doesn't recommend them for hunting, but has anyone tried them out on deer or elk?

7mm 183 Sierra MatchKing
I thinking about giving the 183 smk a try in my 7mm Rem Mag. Anyone tried them out yet? I know Sierra doesn't recommend them for hunting, but has anyone tried them out on deer or elk?
what's your twist rate?? They are recommending rather fast twists for their heavy 7mm's... The 180's I shoot in my 7rum say 8" twist on them; though a 9" twist at 3100fps seems to be enough at my altitude...
I know the 183 and 197 smk's in 7mm are pretty long for their weight...

7mm 183 Sierra MatchKing

I bought some of these last fall when my 7mm Blaser Mag was being built and they are a cool looking bullet, I think they look like a Lapua Scenar, but with their tip design I'm not sure they would open up much and I'd be afraid they'd perform like a Lapua Scenar, too.

The 183gr SMK is definitely a fair bit longer than the 180 Bergers and I can only imagine how long that 197gr SMK must be but with that new tip design, I don't think either would make for a very good hunting bullet and my guess is they'd act more like a FMJ and just spear straight through.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.