183 SIERRA vs 180 BERGER

elkaholic

I picked these up today to see how they compare. I shot the Bergers in my SS and they shoot great and hammered a deer with one at 854 yards this fall. I have to say though, the Sierra is a SWEET looking bullet. I may not be able to stabilize them sufficiently; we'll see? I am at 4500' and have a 9 twist which gives me a 1.4 (marginally stable). The Sierras are a full 1/10" longer than the Berger, most of which is in the 27 caliber nose. The boat tail is also a little bit longer and the bearing surface seems very similar although the Sierra MIGHT be a little more? It is difficult to see in the pic, but the tip of the Sierra has a change of angle the last 1/8" which allows the meplat to be about .010" smaller than the Berger. This could be good news/bad news (don't know)? I am curious to see if it allows enough expansion? The bullet OAL seems to be a little more consistent on the Sierra. If I can get them to shoot with my 9 twist, I will try some expansion tests between the two.
183 sierra vs 180 Berger.jpg
The 180 Berger Hybrid would have been a little better comparison, but this is what I use and had on hand.

Rich, it's hard to tell from the pics but is the Sierra a secant ogive or tangent like a normal SMK?

From what I've read they've incorporated a new process into manufacturing them that makes those tips that way. I believe they said the reason for it was consistency.

I've also got a box on my bench to try soon. I've got an STW with and 8.5 twist Kreiger. I guess we'll see on the stability. I'm thinking they'll be ok though.

From what I've read they've incorporated a new process into manufacturing them that makes those tips that way. I believe they said the reason for it was consistency.

I've also got a box on my bench to try soon. I've got an STW with and 8.5 twist Kreiger. I guess we'll see on the stability. I'm thinking they'll be ok though.

You should be good. I tried some today and the results were unimpressive. I don't know if it was the load, twist, or the mirage I was dealing with. I should have had some Bergers with me to compare......Rich

Interesting. Sorry to hear they didn't work well for you.

I've been wondering if they would be finicky about where they shot well. How far off the lands did you start off with?

Interesting. Sorry to hear they didn't work well for you.

I've been wondering if they would be finicky about where they shot well. How far off the lands did you start off with?

Just kissing the lands and then 3 more loads jumping in .015"-.020" increments. I had a LOT of mirage though, so not giving up yet......Rich

Let us know if you get em working, I will get a box and try soon in my 284 8.0 twist to see how they shoot 500 ft sea level

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.