7mm-08 Bullet Choice for Stone Sheep inside of 500 yards

Which bullet for stone sheep hunt inside of 500 yards w/ 7mm-08?

• Barnes TTSX 120

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nosler Ballistic Tip 140

• Nosler Ballistic Tip 150

• Hornady ELDX 150

• Speer Hot Core 145

• Total voters
Can't make a decision on the best bullet for you, but would pick the one that is the most accurate at 500 yds. Sheep aren't that tough and don't go far if hit in the right place. This thread brings back memories of my Stone hunt many years ago, while sitting here looking at the mount. Are you hunting in the areas that have dark (black) rams?
I'll be in the Cassiar Mountain Range. It sounds like the color tones vary, but on the darker end of the spectrum. Success rates are closer to 50% than 100% from everything I have gathered in reading the forums over the last few years, so Im just hoping for an incredible experience. A legal stone ram of any size or color would be a dream come true....

If there was a Hammer load manual with data on a 7mm-08 with 24" barrel, 1:9 twist, using either RL15 or RL19, with 131 HHs, they would be on the list as I do have some of those on hand. Problem is I don't have a chrono, and have run out of time
My 7-08 132HHT load. 24 inch CA arms . 45 grains of STaBall match. 2.780 OAL. No pressure signs!!! Probably could get more speed but this is one hole group stuff. 2998 FPS. I'm 60 thousands off the lands.

I'll be in the Cassiar Mountain Range. It sounds like the color tones vary, but on the darker end of the spectrum. Success rates are closer to 50% than 100% from everything I have gathered in reading the forums over the last few years, so Im just hoping for an incredible experience. A legal stone ram of any size or color would be a dream come true....
Have a great hunt and post pics of a big dark beautiful ram!

Below is for the 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 2647 fps MV, which is a fairly mild load for the 7mm-08. So at 500 yards you are still exceeding the manufacturers minimum velocity (of 1800 fps) for expansion by 129 fps, and actually are carrying 1800 all the way to 600. Over 300, what concerns me most is wind.
View attachment 479014

View attachment 479013

I really don't want to shoot past 300 if I can help it, but if conditions are right, and I feel confident in the shot, I want to have the option.
GA,
Thank you for the most excellent & informative reply. Since they live in Northern BC and southern Yukon, wind is a common challenge.

This was a most enjoyable thread. I cannot walk far anymore, but it is nice to know that my Ruger No. 1 in 7mm-08 is able to perform on animals at these distances. It is still fun shooting it in long distance silhouette matches. I bought this riflescope about 2 years ago and will be adding it to my Ruger.

Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44mm 30mm Tube

ruger No. 1 7mm08.png

Last edited:
You won't go wrong with the 145gr Hot-Cor (my #1 list selection) ... or the 139gr Hornady Interbond or the Interlock - I've used them all - like them all. No need for those expensive monos in this scenario unless you really want to use them. You won't retain enough velocity to make the 120gr TTSX expand beyond ~300 yards. I have no experience with the ELD-X or BT's in this caliber, but they wouldn't be on my list.

Yep.
You can get enough velocity with the 140 BT's.
This is out of a factory Rem Varmint cut down to 20" with suppressor.
Probably me that threw one up a tad with the 2.5-10x scope.
It tracked extremely well out to 500 just using the Vortex BDC reticle.

Attachments

• IMG_4415.jpeg
    IMG_4415.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
Accubonds are a tougher, bonded bullet. Ive killed many things with them, but I don't think they are preferred for deer, antelope, or sheep over the ballistic tip, especially once you get out past 300 yards. In my experience with those species, the BT gives "dead right there" performance whereas the accubond often pencil holes in those species if you don't hit bone. If we were talking about elk inside of 400 yards, or hogs at close range, yeah accubond.

I made the mistake of taking an Antelope with accubonds. 4 pencil holes :))

Yep. Agree.
Those have a need for speed.
I have since developed a load with 150 ABLR.
Haven't shot game yet but I'll know this winter.
I'm hoping I'll get the best of both expansion and penetration out of my 284 Win.

One not on the list but a tough lil' MF'r is the 120 BT going fast!
500 may be a bit far for it though...(wind and drop)

Second this. The 140gr BT will do it better than the 150gr, more energy dump, but the 120gr BT is an absolute killer.