7mm-08 "Ackley"

frankinaustin

howdy from Austin:
I'm planning to do a Rifle build and I wish to chamber in 7mm-08 AI. Looking for someone to sell me a dozen or so fire formed and neck sized brass, so that I can determine throat depth, dummy round, etc.

Great chance to get some money back on some shot up, brittle neck old brass!

Many thanks!

It is not necessary for this cartridge because it is a common chamber (Reamers are readily available from Manson and JGS). and also dies are fairly common.

This cartridge works well in a short action with Standard free bore and a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 twist barrel depending on your bullet selection. No need to reinvent the wheel unless you want something different.

J E CUSTOM

Frank, depending on how your chamber is cut, and what your headspacing is, you will not be able to just use someone else's fire-formed AI cases in your rifle to get exact measurements. You would be much better off to go buy a $30 box of Hornady or Nosler 7mm-08 ammo and shoot them in your rifle, so they are fire-formed to your rifle's chamber. Then take your measurements from them. That way your cases are perfect for your rifle, and you can actually use them the way you want to.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...on-7mm-08-remington-150-grain-eld-x-box-of-20

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...remington-140-grain-e-tip-lead-free-box-of-20

I don't think you should use someones fired brass to determine what reamer specs you want. You can make a dummy round using new 7mm-08 brass that will determine the throat depth. The other dimensions can be calculated.

Hey Mr. JE - will you sell me some 708 AI brass?

I would /could do that, but as Mudrunner said, It wouldn't work in your chamber because of the difference in reamers and headspace.

The purpose of firing a 708 in your chamber is to know exactly what "your chamber" is. You don't have to worry about what brand of ammo it is as long as it is standard velocity in 120 to 140 grain bullets It will do fine.

J E CUSTOM

As JE said, you could probably run the SAAMI spec throat length and be just fine, but if you want to load a round with a specific bullet and have your throat length set for that specific bullet at a specific seating depth, I have some .260 AI brass I would send ya, they would need to be sized up to 7mm but I would assume your gonna hand load, so hopefully you have dies and can jist run em through to size the neck. They are just remington .243 brass that I sized up, have somewhere around 4 firaings on them, and the ones I would send you are ones with cracked necks.

If ya want some, just make me an offer.

He doesn't have a chamber. His rifle hasn't been built.

I hear ya EDD, But even if he used the same reamer specification,
it (His chamber would still be different by some amount) and the best thing to do in my opinion, would be to fire form a few Parent cases (The 260 Remington) in his chamber and use them to set up his dies. (After he gets the chamber cut).:)

J E CUSTOM

If you want the best performance. From and awesome cartridge. Then buy alpha 260 brass, neck it up , and have the gunsmith set the headspace off the neck shoulder junction of that. You can get 3,000 easy with 150 Eld-x from a 24" barrel