7mm/08

huntwithme

i'm starting to load the 7mm/08 its a ruger but the barrl is only 16" i want to load nosler 140 bt do you choose the fastest powder on the list with that short barrel do you look it up under pistols [contender]
thanks for any help

Good day, I find the advantage of fast burning powders is just that they really reduce muzzle blast and flash….but in my experience and the experience of many I've read from the powder that would give the fastest velocity from a 26 inch will still be the fastest velocity from a 16 or even shorter. Just blasty and flashy!

What are you looking for mainly? If you want more velocity a faster powder might help a little. I have had good luck with H414 to get a little more velocity out of some cartridges.

What are you looking for mainly? If you want more velocity a faster powder might help a little. I have had good luck with H414 to get a little more velocity out of some cartridges.
Can you find H414?
We still have a few pounds left.
Thought that Hodgdon stopped making it.
Been using H4350 with good results.

For 7mm08 my son and I have been using 6.5 Staball with his rifle and he is running the 150gr ELDX. We just got the suppressor for his rifle so now we can finally finish load development. 6.5 Staball has been a fairly accurate powder so far. 1 MOA approximately with just a quick moderate loaded we whipped up. No real development.

Your powder choice has more to do with the bullet weight vs. case volume & bore than the barrel length.
Longer barrels benefit from slower burning powder as it keeps burning while the bullet is traveling down the tube.
Some powders you could look at are IMR or H4895 / Varget / IMR4166 / 4064 / N135.
I've gone as slow as Reloader 17 for Hornady 162 Interlocks or Cutting Edge 147's.
At 14", I'll bet that sucker kicks hard.