7mm/08

i'm starting to load the 7mm/08 its a ruger but the barrl is only 16" i want to load nosler 140 bt do you choose the fastest powder on the list with that short barrel do you look it up under pistols [contender]
thanks for any help
Hard to follow your strange english but I think you are asking if faster burning powder is best in the short barrel. A lot of people will say no and to go with the best powder for the weight of the bullet, but in my limited experience, faster powder in a shorter barrel is preferable because you get more complete powder burn so long as you stay within safe powder charges.

If you can find published pistol load data for a 7-08, use it. That will give you more accurate expected velocities for the load.

H414 is discontinued. I have a couple lbs left that I use to load 308 for a friend of mine, but will eventually have to work a new load up with something different when I run out.
Hodgdon did drop the H414 line, but is still selling it as Win760. You can check every loading manual out there, they are the same powder. Unfortunately, it shows out of stock for Win760 right now, but H414 isn't even listed on website anymore.

but to the OP, I have always subscribed to the idea that short barrels need faster powders to get maximum burn % in the available tube. The guys with QL seem to confirm this when this question comes up. My 7-08 is not short barrel, but I'd try R16, Win760, Leverevolution.

Can you find H414?
We still have a few pounds left.
Thought that Hodgdon stopped making it.
Been using H4350 with good results.
Correct, do not make it anymore. I have a decent amount on the shelf, and only use it now to load family food hunting loads. No more using it for load development and varmint/practice shooting.

There's a whole laundry list of powder's that'll work well with longer or short barrel 7-08. As mentioned W760 would be one of the first I would try along with CFE 223, big game and if you're rifle likes it 6.5 staball.
120 grain ballistic tips would help if you're looking for more velocity.
Maybe @Ernie will weigh in since he's got plenty of experience with short barrel rifle cartridges.

H414 is discontinued. I have a couple lbs left that I use to load 308 for a friend of mine, but will eventually have to work a new load up with something different when I run out.
H414 is the same powder as Winchester 760. The reloading data is exactly the same for both powders. Hodgen was getting the powder from Winchester and renamed it H414. Hodgen bought Winchester powders and discounted H414.

I have owned several 7mm08s and IMR4350 and 140 Nosler ABs or BTs have shot great in all of them but 1 and it liked 139 Interlocks and IMR4064.

For my friends 20" barrel, Leverevolution gave the best velocity with a 150gr SBT, set at 2.82 COAL. 57.4 gr WC and 85-87%fill rate with 46g at 2792FPS.
Second up was RL17 48.2g

i'm starting to load the 7mm/08 its a ruger but the barrl is only 16" i want to load nosler 140 bt do you choose the fastest powder on the list with that short barrel do you look it up under pistols [contender]
thanks for any help

H-4895 worked great for me with a 14" 7-08 with both 120's and 140's.

I use Benchmark, IMR3031, IMR4895 and IMR 4064 with good luck out of my 18inch barrel and my 29 inch barrel. Benchmark velocity is 2650 from my 18inch barrel and 2833 from the 29inch but groups look the same.
1000016849.jpg

For the 7mm-08 with 120gr BT or the 140 class bullets in an 18" barrel I have used Varget. It may not be the fastest but it has proven to be the most consistent over the widest range of temperatures for me. There are other good options as well. I have found this to work well in barrels from 18-26" in length for this caliber.

Recent Posts