75 gr amax to magazine oal

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by vendetta333, Nov 28, 2011.

1. vendetta333

vendetta333 Well-Known Member

i know they dont work in AR's but are there any bolt guns in which a 75gr amax can be seated to magazine length? specifically a cz 527? i know the barrel twist is too slow, but just wondering about the mag. i hear also that that particular line of rifles is said to be safe for NATO ammo aswell, any truth to that? thanx for all info!

2. vendetta333

anyone?

3. BradArnett

BradArnett Well-Known Member

I"m not familiar with the 527's magbox but I am with the Rem700's. I run them (75Amax) in 223's and 223AI's. Modding the magbox to take a longer COAL is a 10 minute job at most. Its as simple as cutting out the spacer from the magbox and adding a new one that gives you the length you need. You can do it in multiple ways, from litterally forming a dam and pouring it with jb weld or something of the like. If you go that route it helps to drill a couple holes to give you a mechanical lock. Easier yet is to use a piece of delrin, which is like the slick plastic of a cutting board. I've done it with that by simply cutting the piece to size and epoxying it in place. You can also do it with a piece of aluminum stock of the right size.

It really is that simple. You still run the original spring/follower and will have zero feeding issues. I can't/won't make the concession to run a single shot bolt gun and there is no reason to do so in this situation.

4. vendetta333

cool thanx for the tips,the 527's mag box looks pretty darn big, so i'll have to look into that if i do need it. good to know the mod should be piece of cake tho