270 wsm & 170 gr Bergers - OAL?

Did I read that correct - 0.3" jump, not 0.030" jump?

Yes...the jump is about .3". The 270 Wby case could not even hold the 170 Berger to touch the lands. It has that much freebore. I had to measure (estimate) the jump the old way...Placed a 170 Berger into the lands...take a measurement with a rod from the muzzle, remove the bullet and then take the measurement to the base of the closed bolt. I got around 3.8" to the lands with the 170 Berger in the 270 Wby.

I shoot the Bergers at about 3.54" COAL, so I believe that I am shooting with a .3" jump.

You could build a 270 SS that will reach close to 3100 with a 170 and do it at 2.925 coal. Reamer, dies, brass all available. 2.925" to lands with 170 Berger and 2.850" with 150 LRAB at 3152' with 21" barrel......Rich
View attachment 92265

Extremely interested in doing s .277 cal build. Who makes the brass and dies for your 270. Ss?

Extremely interested in doing s .277 cal build. Who makes the brass and dies for your 270. Ss?
Forster makes rhe dies and ADG makes the brass. If you haven't used ADG brass yet, it is every bit as good as Lapua!
Everything is normally in stock and reamers are available.

Forster makes rhe dies and ADG makes the brass. If you haven't used ADG brass yet, it is every bit as good as Lapua!
Everything is normally in stock and reamers are available.

Awesome! I've never done a true wildcat before and wasn't 100% convinced I wanted too but if there is brass being made and dies available I'll be definately considering it. Looking at a 270. Saum, 270. Wsm, 270 ss.

Cant remember any of the numbers right now but I can tell you trying to optimize a .270wsm to shoot 170s on a short action 700 is a no go. I chose to build my wsm to shoot 140 vld classics (which have a better bc than the vld hunters). If you are hung up on shooting the 170s you can step to a longer action. Yeah stepping up to a weatherby will do great work with the 170s but by the time you step up to that much gun on a long action why not build a big 7 that will eat that things lunch?

And if you dont need something that big and heavy why not optimize the current short action to use the 140 vld in a .270 wsm? That's where I settled on the same thought process you seem to be in. If you are interested I have some rounds I loaded to max reasonable length in a wyatts extended mag with 140 vlds. I can get you the length, the gun isnt built yet so that's all the data I have.

I have a M.O.A evolution 270 wsm 24 inch barrel 8.5 twist. After 300 or so rounds fired during testing, I hit pay dirt with the 170 e.o.l and reloader 26. It ended up with 64 g rl 26,cci 250,3.035 c.o.l, @3041 fps. This load was .25 inch @ 100 and 4 to 5 inch groups @ 1000 with 1 @ 2.5. Needless to say, as an amateur I am very happy

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I am building a Tikka long action 270WSM just for these 170's and I cant wait until its done.

Tikka long action
PTG recoil lug
Rock Creek Barrel 1-7 twist 26"
Bell&Carlson Stock
Topped with a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x 50
Mountain Tactical Bottom Metal
Kampfeld TI Bolt Flute
Kampfeld Hunter TI Bolt Knob

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.