.224 75 VLD and 75 amax speed limits

ZSteinle

Has anyone out there pushed the 75 vld or 75 amax fast enough to where they were coming apart in an 8 twist rifle. Asked Berger and they said they have never had one come apart but they were testing with commercially available cartridges. Thinking of a 22-243 improved 40 degree shoulder

Shoot a 22-284 with the 80 gr VLD at 3550 fps. No problem with them coming apart.

It is a 1 in 8 twist. Another guy I know was also shooting a 22-284 but he had a 7 twist. Couldn't shoot the 90 grain Bergers. They were blowing up before the target. But he seems ok with the 80 grainers.

Couple more questions BEEMAN and thanks for your answers.
Have you measured the actual twist of your barrel?
Are these the hunting VLDs(older thinner jacket) or match VLDs(newer thicker jackets)?

Couple more questions BEEMAN and thanks for your answers.
Have you measured the actual twist of your barrel?
Are these the hunting VLDs(older thinner jacket) or match VLDs(newer thicker jackets)?

I have not measured the twist. It is a #4 contour BRUX. I am shooting the VLD target. PN 22422. BC OF.445. They shoot really good. Using R25.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.