Berger 224 75 gr in a gas gun????

royinidaho

Wrangled my son out of one of his Sig 556s. No money changed hads but he now owns half of vehicle. One more something like a 556 and its all his.:rolleyes:

Has an Eotech halosight which works well out to maybe 150 yds. Shoots great groups @ 100 and so-so @ 200. Not comfortable attempting a yote shot beyond ~150...

Shoots best, so far, with H-335 and Sierra 69 gr MKs. Plunking along @ 2800 out of the 16.5 peckerwood barrel.:rolleyes:

I have quite a few Berger 75s, if they shoot as much better than the 69 and 63 grain offerings shot over the 55 gr pills it may be worth a go.

My meager search ability hasn't come up with a starting load.

Any one out there have any hints?

BTW, a weaver 4.5 - 14 Tactical is going on it. Macular degeneration doesn't cut it with the Eotech type sites.:rolleyes:

Not as dumb as I thought!:rolleyes:

Found data for the Sierra 77 gr offering. I'll start there.

However, I wonder if the Berger 75 will perform on short range yotes, out to 300 yds???

My neighbor show shots the Sierra 69 SMK exclusively has some terminal performance occurrences. Translated, lots of tracking in snow.:)

I'd check the twist; if it's 9" or faster, it will take on a 75 with ease.
I'm running 75 priv. partizan or hornady match(they both do well) with either 23 grains of h4895 or 24 grains of tac with the cci 41(or srm) primer in nato brass with reamed crimps.
I have a 9" twist dpms classic with a 20" barrel.
The 4895 will do 5 in a bit over an inch blade sights at 100 yards. tac is close to as good but it loads quicker(no weighing as it measures near perfect).
In my barrel h4895 is 2800 fps and tac is about 2700 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.