.264 123 gr amax

6.5Express

Anyone using the A max for hunting (antelope / deer sized game)? The 123 gr a max has a high bc and should be able to be pushed fairly fast in my 264 win mag. I could not get bergers to go in my factory 9 twist barrel. I've gotten the 130 gr accubond to shoot but it likes a "slower" load. I'm down around 3065 fps (15 feet out from the muzzle). If i could get the 123 gr a max to shoot at 3250 (conservative velocity?), it would be flatter and buck the wind better than the accubond at 3065. I just don't know about performance on deer sized game. Even the 120 gr ballistic tip should give me better ballistics (according to the G7 program) than the 130 at the velocity I'm shooting.

Any input?

gun)

It would be good to check with Hornady about the jacket thickness, etc.
I don't see why I could not get 3,400-3,500fps in my 264, it would be a mean Antelope round if not too explosive!

I've searched through a lot of threads that discussed the idea of using the a max for hunting, and that has been thoroughly gone over. My question was a little more specific to the 123 gr in any 6.5 (preferably the 264 win mag). I was trying to be conservative on the velocity as my rifle seems to "like" the lower to middle of velocities for accuracy. It seems to me it would be one heck of an antelope load! According to the G7program, at 3300 it would shoot flatter and pack more energy down country than the 130 accubond I'm currently shooting. And, at 3300, as long as shots were atleast 100+ yards I don't think I'd have any issue with "splashing."
gun)

6.5 Exp, I have also read tons of info concerning the A-Max for hunting. But I notice that Hornady has a 120 A-Max & for this 123A-max they list it as 123 Gr. A-Max (Grendel/LBC/Lapua)
Now, is it listed that way because of a diff. jacket thickness & better matched up to these lower vel. round, diff. shape, what exactly. Anyone who shoots alot of diff. wt & cal. BT's know that those jackets vary alot.
So, does anyone know that this specific A-Max would be a light game bullet & at what vel? And I don't see where that conversation has been covered thoughly or at all.

The Hornady site lists a 120Gr. GMX bullet that is a solid with a polymer tip. The 123Gr. A-MAX has an asterisk next to it saying that match bullets aren't meant for hunting.
I hope this helps.

Nomosendero sorry, that's exactly the question I'm looking to get answered here. When I say that there has been plenty of discussion regarding the a max, I mean the a-max in general - I've read through quite a few threads that discuss that. This is why I'm asking about this bullet in particular - for the exact reason you stated. I just figured someone else would've tried or called Hornady already, that's all. With it's BC and the velocities that would be very easily attained with the 264 win mag, it should be a great long range bullet - just looking for some first hand experience is all. But, I do appreciate your reply.

Last edited:
I'm running the b-tips in my 6.5-06AI. The 100s are at 3550, and the 120s are around 3250. you should get at least that with the 120s in your 264. I have not had a chance to use the A-max due to availability. I would not be afraid to use them on deer sized game.

What powder are you using? I could not get good velocity and accuracy with 130 Accubonds out of my 264 Win mag until I went to Retumbo. I have a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel 9 twist. 66.5 grs Retumbo, WW case or WW 7mm Rem mag case reformed to 264, CCI 250 primer, 130 AB 10 thousands off the lands. 3350 fps average. So far 5 WT deer from 80 to 250 yards BANG FLOP. Recovered one bullet shot length wise from front to back at 111 yards. Bullet was found in ham with text book mushroom weight was 87 grs. I would be afraid of sever bullet blow up at close range with the A-max or the ballistic tip at 264 Win mag velocity. Those one piece 120 gr bullets might be your ticket. But the 130 AB at 3065 fps ain't no slouch and would pack more authority way out there than lighter bullets.

My load with the 130 accubond is 64 grains of Retumbo, WLRM, Nosler brass, bullets seated 0.010 off the lands. I was hoping to get the 130 grain bullet over 3200 with accuracy but 66.0 grains of Retumbo in my rifle started to give a sticky bolt. Velocity was around 3180 and the group was crap. When I ran some numbers on the G7 program, the 120 bt's at 3300 would reach 1800 fps at around 850 yards (if I remember correctly). The accubond at 3065 15' feet from the muzzle will get down to 1800 fps at around 700. And, at 550 yards the 120 was roughly one full minute flatter. The reason I use the 1800 fps is that's what Nosler recomends as minimum velocity. I'm okay with the accubond groups in my gun just wish I could do it a couple hundred fps faster - a higher bc wouldn't hurt either.

6.5Exp, I did not realize at first that we were actually wanting the same info. Maybe we can get it soon. I will try to contact Hornady, but probably too busy this eeel, thanks

I've nothing to contribute, posting just to follow conversation. I have much the same question looking for the bullet to use in a 6.5/284 short magazine. Intended target wolf/coyote. The 120 Nosler ballistic tip I have a pretty good idea what to expect, the 123 A-max I've read what Hornady has to say, but looking for review from the field. So just looking over your shoulder.

6.5Express,

I know a few guys that have harvested using A-max bullets but with other calibers. One feller harvested a Bull Elk at 900 yds using a 162g A-max in a 7mm STW, one shot kill, double lunged him...

Another shot a Mule buck and had to shoot again due to bullet failure, he was shooting a .300 Win Mag. So I'm not sure which is the best way to go here.

I've harvested big Muleys a using 168g Berger VLD out of my .30-06AI so I know that some match bullets are quite capable of working as hunting bullets, I've never thought to try A-max myself.

I am however using 129g Hornady SST and 129g Hornady Interbonds out of my 6.5-06 AI and pushing them to 3300FPS using 60g of RL-22. They also hapen to be very accurate out of this rifle. Their BC (G1) is identical at .485. These may shoot well out of your rifle as well.

The 123g A-Max is a .510 BC (which I can see why you are interested in it). It's also fairly new so I haven't heard anything as far as performance on game. Hornady won't give you anything as they condone the use of A-max bullets on game so we gotta wait for some one to actually use it out in the field. Maybe some one in Texas will load some up and shoot a couple hogs with them and let us know (hint, hint).

Just my thoughts
hope this is helpful,

Dan

[...] but looking for review from the field. So just looking over your shoulder.

Shot about 40 deer with the 123gr Amax last year. Good bullet, everything dropped and can't say I was bothered with running deer.

However the Bc seems to be quite a bit lower than 0,510.

Shot about 40 deer with the 123gr Amax last year. Good bullet, everything dropped and can't say I was bothered with running deer.

Roe,
Sounds good! If you have a minute to be more descriptive I'd appreciate it. Pretty consistent performance, or varied?. Pass throughs, or stay in the animal? Notice any differences with changes in terminal velocity? Any bullets you would compare too. Thanks for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.