700 sps stainless opinions

lamiglas

My Dad is looking to buy the above mentioned rifle in a 300 ultramag. He is buying this rifle with the intention of having shawn build him an edge at a later time. At anyrate, that will in the future, so in the meantime my question is: how does the beadblast finish they now come with hold up. Is it inferior to other stainless actions. for example, i have a sendero and the action sure seems alot smoother than this new one. also, in moist, wet weather, will it tend to hold up as well? will this action be suffice for a future build or should he find an older 700 stainless? All opionions are welcome.

thanks alot guys.

Here's my edge and what yours will look like. Either one will work,your gun will have to be blasted so that the barrel and action match. Gotta love S/S.
Guns857.jpg

Back in mid-August I bought a Remington 700 SPS in Stainless in 300 Win Mag and I like it. Bought it from Bass Pro when they had a sale on them and also got the Remington rebate which made it even cheaper. So I got it for about 550 plus tax. Action, to me, is really smooth. (Compairing this to an Mossberg 100 ATR. I know its like compairing apples to oranges, but still.)
"How does the beadblast finish they now come with hold up. Is it inferior to other stainless actions?"
So far the finish has held up really good. Even when my gunsmith put a brake on it and sandblasted the brake and part of the barrel to get it to match, it still looks good. So from my stand point, there is nothing wrong with the finish. It should last you as long as you take care of it. The only thing I see rusting is the part on the back of the bolt that's part of the firing pin. So if he can find one fairly priced then go for it. Should make a good built too, seems how its a 700 action.

-Jake-

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.