700 rem sa case feeding problems

HERMAN8R

I am looking at a drop in Detachable Bottom Metal for my 6.5 CM Rem 700.----or a solution to feeding issues. I polished the feed rails & transitions to the ramp but once in a while the bolt slides over the cartridge----failing to chamber that round.
I like the idea of the center position of the cartridge in relation to the bore with the DBM.
I looked at the HS Product...Very $$$.
OR-Maybe I need to look a different BDL
Open for suggestions. Rem 700 is new. The Rem 700 is new to me also. Still learning!

Are making sure the round is all the way to the back of the mag box and the tip of the bullet is not rubbing on the front of the mag box.

I'm assuming your using factory rounds. I believe saami o.a.l is 2.285. Measure your o.a.l and see what you come up with.
A guy brought me a 300WSM that was on a 700SA with a 2.85 box and that was his problem some of the factory rounds were to long.

I'm assuming your using factory rounds. I believe saami o.a.l is 2.285. Measure your o.a.l and see what you come up with.
A guy brought me a 300WSM that was on a 700SA with a 2.85 box and that was his problem some of the factory rounds were to long.

Using factory loads & hand loads. My box measures 2.855. My hand loads are-- COAL= 2.835. Saami is 2.825 per my book. Factory loads are less than 2.82
If I load 4+1 the bolt will over ride the next cartridge after ejecting the round in the chamber. Every time. If I just load 4 in the box & chamber the top round it will work about 60% of the time.
I will try to add some photos
2019-03-15 15.04.02.jpg
2019-03-15 15.04.02.jpg
2019-03-15 15.07.24.jpg
2019-03-15 15.02.53.jpg
2019-03-15 15.04.02.jpg
2019-03-15 15.03.05.jpg
2019-03-15 15.08.45.jpg
2019-03-15 15.08.45.jpg
2019-03-15 15.09.00.jpg

Last edited:
The first 5 photos are typical of what is happening. The 6th photo is after I wiggle the case a bit to rest up along the rails. 7th & 8th photos are looking thru the chamber. The case head is hardly visible. Last photo is after I wiggle the case to get back on the rails.

What started this was ---I was getting some major scrape on the case from the chamber rails as they transition to the ramp. I stoned the sharp points on both sides of the rails as they enter the chamber. that helped the scrapping issue..but not the loading issue.

Hope that is a somewhat description.

Hello,
I've encountered your problem a number of times over a forty odd some year period, unfortunately there is not one fix as there is not one isolated problem, it's one of these issues, mag box, follower, or follower spring, looking at your pictures it appears the draft angles on the mag box might be the problem, the cartridge does not appear to be raising high enough to be properly picked up by the bolt, a follower and or spring could correct this, if you have access to another 700 or a model 7 try swapping the parts around, at this point I'd try tweeking the follower spring in such a way as to put more pressure on the base of the cartridge, or you might try to change the angle on the mag box forcing the cartridge more to the center!

I thought about the follower & the spring. I will measure the follower tomorrow. I tried bending the spring a bit also. I am thinking the follower may be hanging up on the sides.

I will try loading three in the box & cycling them and will post the results.

I don't have another Rem. This my first. I am a Sako guy...really like them.
The 700 is a custom build I had done a couple years ago & I am now just getting into it. Just retired so I have a little more time to goof off!

Is this a hunting rifle or range rifle or both? Reason I ask is because the HS Precision dbm, although pricey, is nice because of mage choices for it. You can have the standard four round that is almost flush like a standard bdl floor plate so it won't get hung up on anything while hunting. Then you can get the 10 round mags for range work.

Ok lets try a different approach here, let's see if I can explain this, I'm better at doing than explaining, at the rear of the receiver just forward of the bolt face, the guide rails should have a small relief cut, this relief gives clearance to the cartridge rim, if it is not cut properly the rim will catch on a radishes edge, this will throw the center line of the cartridge off, the point of the bullet is higher than it should be, as you push the bolt toward the bullet raises higher, this in turn causes the rim of the case to drop just a little which then allows the bolt to ride over the top of the cartridges, I hope this makes sense?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.