700 issue

You can take a Rem 700 receiver that is for the UMs and install a barrel chambered for a std mag (like .300 Win., 7mm Rem Mag, etc) and it'll feed just fine. Sounds to me like the rails on this one were way over cut. This is the prime reason to keep receivers off the milling machine when performing feed work and pick up a mill bastard file and do it a little at a time! I am old enough and been gunsmithing long enough to have done it this way on many, many actions. Back in my day, we "cut our teeth" on Springfields and Mausers, where if you were using either to build a magnum you needed to open the feed rails. Flawless feeding can be achieved by working a little at a time. Even a std 700 can be greatly improved upon with a bit of judicious and careful handwork with a file and then stones to smooth feeding. It's not rocket science, and not all gunsmithing is machine work. Lots of stuff gets screwed-up by applying powder tools when a bit of handwork is all that is need or required. This one that the OPs' friend has would probably work OK with a center feed box and follower, be it a Wyatts in BDL configuration or a center feed detachable box magazine set-up. It ain't junk yet!
I wish you would do some videos on this stuff. Making these actions feed perfectly has always eluded me. Get them functional but leave a lot to be desired.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.