Remington 700 extractor issue

Many times the extractor can be bent slightly and replaced with a new rivet and it will work. The problem can be crap behind/around the extractor, and extractor that doesn't come out enough to begin with (the bending thing fixes that), or there are burrs in the notch the extractor sits in. Extractors and rivets are pretty cheap so I'd buy 2 extractors and 5 rivets. I personally just turned a part on the lathe to go in the bolt face and grabbed it in the vise to pound the rivet in.

Out at the range with my 300 rum and the cases would not extract from the chamber. I haven't had to replace an extractor. Looks normal to me but I must be missing something. What are the "gotchas" to look out for? Thanks guys.

I know someone will say do a sako but I haven't done that and want to learn, just not now.
View attachment 159679

First thing to know is some of those extractors get a little bend in the metal and it keeps the extractor from springing out far enough to maintain a good hold. I have seen them chip and not have a good flat to grab with. Also the new ones that don't need the rivet can turn in the groove and be in the wrong position. Also the ones without the rivet are a one time use item. If you take it out 9 out of 10 times it will get the little bend and not work. Good news is they don't fail very often. They are cheap and just snap in place. If it needs a rivet you will need an anvil to set the rivet with. Easy to make one once you see what it does. Make sure yours is centered between the stops on the recess. There is a little bit of play but it needs to be in the right spot to work. I've been building 700s for over 30 years and have only seen about 5 broken ones in that time.
Shep

The only time I've had issues with extractions on my Remington 700's is when I fired the brass in my 7mag Ruger #1.Even though the brass was full length resized and chambered easily,the brass would have a hard time extracting after firing.I guess it's a good argument for segregating your brass.

Out at the range with my 300 rum and the cases would not extract from the chamber. I haven't had to replace an extractor. Looks normal to me but I must be missing something. What are the "gotchas" to look out for? Thanks guys.

I know someone will say do a sako but I haven't done that and want to learn, just not now.
View attachment 159679

Wouldn't extract as you could move the bolt freely but the case would stay in the chamber or was the case and bolt both stuck? or lastly when you work the bolt the case breaks free and is pulled but not ejected?

Wouldn't extract as you could move the bolt freely but the case would stay in the chamber or was the case and bolt both stuck? or lastly when you work the bolt the case breaks free and is pulled but not ejected?
Bolt moved freely but would seldom catch and extract the round.

If you mixed up bolts as I understand in the original post, then it's possible your head space
may be off or your primary extraction could be different now. Try a different bolt.

If you mixed up bolts as I understand in the original post, then it's possible your head space
may be off or your primary extraction could be different now. Try a different bolt.
I put a good light on them an was able to make out the matching numbers on the bolt. All back to normal now. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.