PTG Remington 700 Bolt Extractor Issues

johnnymac

Hey Everyone,

I recently chambered a barrel in 6.5 creedmoor to go on a Remington 700 action I had. I ordered one of PTG's replacement bolts with the mini m16 extractor. I made the counterbore a little oversized at .720 after reading about issues others were having with a standard size counterbore. I'm having trouble extracting a fired case but the problem doesnt seem to be coming from the counterbore. When I try to extract the case it only starts to come out for maybe 1/8 of an inch and then pops out from underneath the extractor. It's almost as if there isnt enough spring tension on the extractor to allow it to snap back over the rim of the case. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Hi John,
The counter bore for the M-16 extractor is .785" No more, no less. It needs the clearance to get over the rim in the first place. Once hooked it doesn't need the spring at all. The angle causes it to grip. The harder you pull the tighter it grips.

Here is a link to the extractor instructions.
http://www.badgerordnance.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/306-90_91_92_Extractor.pdf

If the head space is excessive or the brass is too short it may not fully get over the lip. This can cause it to do what you are describing. How does it work once the rounds are fired?

Shawn

Hired Gun,

Thanks for your reply. It will occasionally extract a fired case but most times will not. I can insert an empty case into the chamber, close the bolt, open the bolt and try to extract the case and it will not bring it out. However, i can insert an empty case, close the bolt, dry fire, and the case comes out every time. This is what leads me to think that the cause of my problems could be coming from something other than the counterbore (not tyring to be argumentative, just a newbie here and trying to better understand this). It seems to me that if the counterbore was the issue then i would NEVER be able to extract a case under any circumstances. Does this make sense?

Had some time over the weekend to work on this extractor problem. Turns out the pin that holds the extractor in place fit too tight in the hole in the extractor and wouldn't allow the extractor to pivot freely. I opened the hole in the extractor and it works great now. Just wanted to share this in case someone else runs into the same issue. Thanks to those who replied to my post.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.