Remington 700 extractor issue

Mram10us

FIXED:
So, embarrassing for me, but hopefully someone can learn from my mistake. I was messing with 3 rifles with the bolts out and mixed up which bolt went in which rifle. When you cerakote a bolt, it is very hard to see the numbers that match the receiver and guess what?? Ugh. Thanks for the help. They all shot very well with other bolts that day :)

Out at the range with my 300 rum and the cases would not extract from the chamber. I haven't had to replace an extractor. Looks normal to me but I must be missing something. What are the "gotchas" to look out for? Thanks guys.

I know someone will say do a sako but I haven't done that and want to learn, just not now.
56CDD142-A343-40CF-8DE9-B5376CB109B3.jpeg

Last edited:
The first gotcha was it's a Remington, if you look how the extractor lays in the pocket you can see it really confirms to the radius, you really can't see anywhere that I'd could spring back. Sometimes it's just crud that has made it sticky and some cleaner and air will get it running but most of the time it's replacing the extractor. Order s couple of extractors and about a dozen little rivets along with the anvil. I always get the new one working before riveting it in. You'll likely ruin a few learning how to get them in and out.

Bolt face and extractor seemed to be clean. I cleaned it the day before with air and qtip.
As for "ruining" it.... trying to avoid that :)

With the bolt removed from the rifle, If you put a shell into the bolt face, will the extractor hold the brass while you depress the ejector plunger with the shell base

A few ideas:
Can you push the ejector pin all the way into the bolt face?
Try fitting a case underneath the extractor and see if it holds
Try snapping in the case straight into the bolt face to see if the extractor springs out of the way
Is this brass that has been loaded and fired many times?

After 2 attempts to repair with new extractors, I had an M16 extractor installed into my 300 RUM bolt. It's a common problem in that it showed up at least 5 years ago when I started researching it. Sako extractor is a good install too. Mine failed one day before an antelope hunt and had to go to a backup rifle.

A few ideas:
Try snapping in the case straight into the bolt face to see if the extractor springs out of the way
It's old brass for sure

A few ideas:
Ejector goes in fine. Just doesn't seem like a solid fit

I have a a Rem 700 in 7mag & 264 mag. I have been fighting extractor problems with both these rifles for years. Most of the time they work but seem to have spells where they do not. Have replaced both of them at one time but that did not solve the problem. Can't believe Rem would install a finger nail piece of sheet metal & call it an extractor. I did finally solve the problem. I went to Win 70's with the claw extractor. Has never failed me, ever .....

I have been shooting Rem 700's since '68, and I have had a flock of them. I have had problems with exactly two. ONe was worn out after the 4th barrel was shot out, and the other was installed improperly at the factory.

If you ever blow a primer, the Sako or M-16 extractors become projectiles....just say'en.

This is the second one I've had an issue with in 20+ years also. As much shooting and as harsh of conditions in the high desert and rocky mountains they are put thru, I feel lucky

When the spring has been sprung on the extractor, time for a new one. I think that some are ruined when installed by ill trained factory employees.

Compare the location of the edge of the extractor in bolt face rim with various other 700 bolts you have, the problem may be all too obvious.

Replacement is a matter of mailing the bolt off, usually. Couple of guys I know are darn good at this task.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.