Remington 700 extractor

raven1776

How do you tell if you have the rivet style or rivetless style extractor? Looking to replace mine and not sure which one to get. I have a lack of options for a gunsmith where I live, Not within a few hundred miles anyway.

Remove the bolt and look at the inside of bolt face.
The extractor rides along the inside edge of the bolt face and looks somewhat like a thin narrow spring inside a shallow groove.
At about mid point on the extractor is a "hook" - the other end is flat or, if it's rivited, has an obvious rivet in place..
On the flat end, if it's a riveted extractor model, you will clearly see the rivet.
If you don't see it ian't there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=remington+700+extractors&client=ubuntu&hs=6Nr&channel=fs&tbm=isch&imgil=e1WXrje_itlQnM%253A%253BfsnAjsncYeMXeM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.brownells.com%25252Fitems%25252Fbrownells-remington-extractor.aspx&source=iu&pf=m&fir=e1WXrje_itlQnM%253A%252CfsnAjsncYeMXeM%252C_&usg=__4RwG5fi1Q1n7LWOEpxGH2qdr4rk%3D&biw=1231&bih=927&ved=0ahUKEwjMqsTDpOXOAhUQ9mMKHUu7DhQQyjcIRg&ei=mXbDV4z6I5DsjwPL9rqgAQ#imgrc=ElGxR__dT8ASCM%3A

Remove the bolt and look at the bolt face.
The extractor rides along the inside edge of the bolt face and looks somewhat like a thin narrow spring inside a shallow groove.
At one end of the extractor is a "hook" - the other end is flat.
On the flat end, if it's a riveted extractor model, you will clearly see the rivet.
If you don't see it ian't there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rem...=mXbDV4z6I5DsjwPL9rqgAQ#imgrc=ElGxR__dT8ASCM:

Thanks for the reply. I guess mine has the rivet. I can see the rivet on the extractor, just not on the outside of the bolt.

If you have the tools and intermediate mechanical skills it shouldn't be too hard to do yourself:
Remington 700-Type Riveted Extractor | World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS
However, by the time you buy the tools and the parts and do the job yourself you'd be pretty close to the cost of a PTG replacement bolt. A new bolt will need to be checked for had space - you may need a smith to help with that.
Another thought might be to send the bolt off to have a Sako style extractor fitted. That might be the most cost effective measure. I'd suggest an M16 extractor retro-fit but that usually requires some work on the barrel's tenon which runs the cost up quite a lot.
Best of luck with the project.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the information! It has been a decent gun so far, getting close to my load now. 3/4" at 300 yards. Looking forward to elk season this year!

I looked at the Bob Green website. Under the services listing he has "Geometric Dimensioning of Actions" listed. Would someone tell me what that is.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts