Remington 700 extractor question

scott63

Living in Northern California my entire life, the
I head spaced a rem 700 in 30/06 to close snugly on a go gauge and not close at all on the no-go gauge. When chambering cartridges, while closing the bolt some cartridges close very tightly and makes a distinct mark on the rim. I checked these cartridges carefully after chambering, but before firing and there were no other marks on the casing. These were once fired reloads, neck sized only. When firing new cartridges they did not make the mark on the rim as deeply and closed without too much effort. Do you think this might be a case of too tight of head space, or casing needing full length sizing?

Head space gauges are SAMME specification, But your chamber may not be so you have to size to fit your chamber.

If your dies are not adjustable (They are as far down as they will go) the simple way to size them smaller is to place a .002 or .003 thousandths shim or feeler gauge between the case head and the shell holder, this will size the case a little bit more without having to buy more dies until you know what the problem is.

Most new/premium dies can be adjusted past the SAMME dimensions so buying a set if necessary may solve this problem.

Take one of the fired cases and adjust the dies until it chambers smoothly. Head space should be set at .0005 to .003 for proper head space and best brass life. The bolt should never close on a no go gauge. (If it does, the head space is to much and other problems can/may occur).

Sounds like you head spaced it correctly you just don't have your dies adjusted correctly.

J E CUSTOM

Head space gauges are SAMME specification, But your chamber may not be so you have to size to fit your chamber.

If your dies are not adjustable (They are as far down as they will go) the simple way to size them smaller is to place a .002 or .003 thousandths shim or feeler gauge between the case head and the shell holder, this will size the case a little bit more without having to buy more dies until you know what the problem is.

Most new/premium dies can be adjusted past the SAMME dimensions so buying a set if necessary may solve this problem.

Take one of the fired cases and adjust the dies until it chambers smoothly. Head space should be set at .0005 to .003 for proper head space and best brass life. The bolt should never close on a no go gauge. (If it does, the head space is to much and other problems can/may occur).

Sounds like you head spaced it correctly you just don't have your dies adjusted correctly.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks for the tips, Ill try this out
Scott

I had a similar problem with my last 700. It literally ate up the rim. Reworked the bolt to use the M16 extractor, and the problem went away instantly. Others have used the Sako with similar results.
gary

Looks like your extractor isn't functioning properly. It should spring back allowing the rim to pass by and then snap back out over the rim. Clean it out and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't it will need to be removed/replaced. I have had good luck alternating between compressed air, oil, solvent, and manually moving it.

Never heard of SAMME that is a new one.

Have heard of "SAAMI"
Small Arms and Ammunition Manufactures Institute (USA) CIP (Europe)
Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.