remington 700 la extractor replacement

There are just some gunsmithing tasks that require specialized tools to get the job done right. I've install hundreds over the past 25 or so years. Some of those specialized tools a hobby gunsmith might only use once or twice and if you can not make them yourself the cost of commercial made exceeds the cost of paying a working 'smith to do it for you. I didn't use a lathe or mill for the install, but they were used to make the tool I use for the install, along with a torch to harden the 'part'. Most seem to think a lathe and mill makes you a 'gunsmith'. HAA! The peg boards in my shop are covered with specialized tools, many that were made using the lathe and mill. It's a specialized anvil, to back-up the rivet head so the 'tail' can be peened. That tool has one use, installing riveted Remington extractors.

yep already on it. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...gton-rifle-extractor-rivet-anvil-prod839.aspx

edit: you make a good point, and i agree. I have a lot of remington 700's...its kind of stupid. Chances are i will not have another extractor issue...or at least for a long time, but ill have the tools and experience if it does.

You will not have the "experience" until you have installed 5-10. Several things can go wrong. Like, the head of the rivet doesn't seat correctly, and interferes with the cartridge case. I hope you ordered MORE than one rivet! Every time I need to square a bolt face the extractor has to come out. For many years I would see more riveted than 'clipped'. Now it's probably the other way around, more 'clipped' than riveted, but I still keep riveted on hand as all the magnums are still riveted and Brownells (the "WalMart" of gun supplies) has riveted 'kits for std .308 and .223 bolt faces. A 4oz. ball peen hammer is handy, as well a 4"-6" mill bastard file. It's not all about threading and chambering, it's all these 'little' things that come along.

well you have to start somewhere for experience. ive done well on other non-related projects, i will have to learn this one as well. including getting the extractor tension correct and all the other little things that come up. i understand its not just as easy as a quickly installing it.

I had two different smiths install my magnum extractor, on the same bolt. Neither worked, and i ended up sending to another Smith to put in a mini m16 extractor. Problem solved! Good luck putting in the extractor. And putting it in so that it won't slip of the rim of the case.

You have to find the magic medium. If when riveted in solid it curls to tight inside the extractor recess it won't catch and hold the case rim snug and solid. If it curves out to far and the flat behind the hook is exposed it will catch the rim of the case and the head of the case will not go into the bolt face recess. The bolt won't go into position and allow the handle and lugs rotate. Good Luck in finding the perfect magic in between .

I had two different smiths install my magnum extractor, on the same bolt. Neither worked, and i ended up sending to another Smith to put in a mini m16 extractor.

Best repair for the 700 extractor... Elimination.

Last edited:
I've replaced mine with Sako. I read where many think the m16 is nicer.

Either would be a big improvement.

My brother repairs more 700 extractors than any other factory bolt action extractor. Been gunsmithing for over 30 years now. He doesn't think much of the factory 700 extractors, and that's putting it kindly.

See my prior post. Perhaps you were posting at the same time I was.

Additional logic is you're having to repair yours, just like all the ones my brother's repaired over the years.

See my prior post. Perhaps you were posting at the same time I was.

Additional logic is you're having to repair yours, just like all the ones my brother's repaired over the years.
Like I said, that's one opinion, what someone says from 30 years of experience isn't an actual reason man. I broke it from being dumb and running hot rounds for awhile and cranking on a sticky bolt. Putting an ar extractor changes its extraction to about 30 degrees and can be dangerous IF not done correctly. It's all relative, some people like some don't.

I provided the logic, and it's as sound as logic gets. How much experience is your logic and opinion based on, in comparison to a gunsmith that's been repairing extractors from all variety of factory rifles for over 30 years? Provide examples of better reasons that count more...

They're less reliable than other extractors. If you think they're as good as the rest, what's your logic, and what experience is it based on?

A fact is something is indisputable in a case. Someone I never mets opinion on something be better than something else is subjective. A sako destroyed bolt is something that happens, rarely, but happens.

Attachments

• IMG_1832.PNG
    IMG_1832.PNG
    61.4 KB · Views: 162
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.