700 300 SM Riveted Extractor Replacement

Muddyboots

Bolt has 1460 rounds on it and unfortunately I beat it up a little bit with some brass that had some rim problems that I did not notice at first. My bad, hard lesson learned, but now I have to deal with it. So how difficult is it to replace it and get a nice smooth bolt body? I see there is a jig block that helps set the rivet but I am more "concerned" on how it looks after the rivet is filed down etc.

I am not afraid of doing it but like to gather as much info before I start a project on something I have zero experience. I wish I could replace with M16 extractor but money bit tight right now.

So give me crap on how did I screw this up first which is OK since I have already beaten myself up on being dumas and know better.

Easy to do or bite bullet $$$ and get the M16 extractor?

I would get the jig and try it out yourself. If it doesn't work out then have a gunsmith do it.

It looks kinda tricky to do it right. Maybe get 2 or 3 rivers to give yourself a chance.

You gotta' have the 'anvil'/jig to do a good job. A little 8oz ball peen hammer, and like has already been mentioned, more than 1 rivet & slim taper file. Done right, it shouldn't take much filing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.