700 issue

I bought the gun as a 300 WBY with a single shot plate in it. I didn't need the gun, but it came with 25 boxes of once fired original Tiger box 300 WBY.....which wasn't ..... big mis-mach of brass. Anyway...lesson learned. He took the single shot plate out and installed BDL bottom metal from a RUM BDL. He can only load 1 shell in the mag.....any more and the follower pops by the milled feed rail. When empty the follower also pops by the feed rail and blocks the bolt from moving when all the way open. Just trying to figure out if it can be converted to a factory DBM, Surgon , Whyatts, etc...... and work.

I am simply one of those "send it to the guy" kind of people. I don't WANT to work on them lest they end up like this one!! LOL

Anyway....looking for help. I feel bad as this is my shooting partner....although I just sold him 1000 CCI 450's and 1000 Fed 210's, so i don't feel REALLY bad!! LOL

Tod

I bought the gun as a 300 WBY with a single shot plate in it.
OK, now I get it- wasn't new when you purchased it.
.300 Wby is the same class as the Nosler, it needs wider feed rails ("magnum", this is the diff between a std. LA for say, an .06 and the wide case magnums).
Anyway, it wasn't a factory magnum action, and sounds like whomever opened up the feed rails had too heavy a hand on the mill.

I haven't encountered this before, but perhaps someone else has. Might need a custom, wider follower.
I would suspect any manfacturers' followers will be sized to fit the 700 magnum feed rail specs and would still be too narrow- but simple enough to call around to them and ask.

If my thinking is right, I know someone here WILL correct me, the lips on the mag box stop the follower not the feed rails. If it wont hold the cartridge and the follower pops up...its the mag box not the rails. Am I wrong?

If my thinking is right, I know someone here WILL correct me, the lips on the mag box stop the follower not the feed rails. If it wont hold the cartridge and the follower pops up...its the mag box not the rails. Am I wrong?
This was my thoughts, but I don't own one any more to check.....I just sold my McMillan A5 with Surgon mag fed bottom metal two weeks ago. Had i knew about the problem i could have just put his barreled action in my Stock to try it out.

Just hold his mag box on a flat surface to compress the spring and load it up. If it doesnt hold the cartridge or the follower then its defective.

Remington 700 feed lips for a 300 win mag are too small for the ultra mag cases. Sounds like somebody ground them down to accept a larger case. A detachable magazine has its own feed lips so that shouldn't be an issue. I actually just did this on a Remington build. The problem is that if you want to go back to a win mag, the rounds will just push right up through unless they only ground off a minuscule amount. The internal magazines are very forgiving with feed lips though

Yes, you are. As I've been tryin' to say....

Currently building a .300 WSM for a customer.
I have modified the receiver for the Wyatt's extended box mag in the pictures.
As you can see, there is no "stop" for the follower on the internal box. Only the receiver feed rails act as the stop for the follower.
As mentioned, this obviously becomes a moot point if converting to a DBM.

i4culdW.jpg

tJ3JvHC.jpg

That IS the plan.....converting to a DBM as I see no fix here. I am wondering WHICH DBM system to get, but I see the concensis is the Wyatts.

Tod

I know it is a dangerous thing but....I've been thinking!!!! If we go to a DBM, ANY brand should work, right? New Bottom metal and MAG. If a guy does this, is there any stock work or action work that needs to be done?

Tod

1609179133521.jpeg

p_100004303_2.jpg

Detachable box magazine systems often require some additional inletting to accommodate the larger bottom metal size. There are several to choose from, Wyatts are not the only brand by any means. Look at several available and be sure to get center feed magazines.

Note the 'ears' on the magazines which control the cartridge, not the action rails.

Enjoy.

That IS the plan.....converting to a DBM as I see no fix here. I am wondering WHICH DBM system to get, but I see the concensis is the Wyatts.

Tod
I understood that.
I was responding to Mr. Klingenberger, who used the term "mag box", and not detachable magazine.
Maybe that's not what he meant, but I've always referred to internal that way, and DBM as, well, DBM or "detachable".

Good luck with it.

I understood that.
I was responding to Mr. Klingenberger, who used the term "mag box", and not detachable magazine.
Maybe that's not what he meant, but I've always referred to internal that way, and DBM as, well, DBM or "detachable".

Good luck with it.
I was reading into it that the friend tried a BDL bottom metal and that was the item that the cartridges popped out of and the follower popped through. Yep, going to need a self contained system now.

OK, now I get it- wasn't new when you purchased it.
.300 Wby is the same class as the Nosler, it needs wider feed rails ("magnum", this is the diff between a std. LA for say, an .06 and the wide case magnums).
Anyway, it wasn't a factory magnum action, and sounds like whomever opened up the feed rails had too heavy a hand on the mill.

I haven't encountered this before, but perhaps someone else has. Might need a custom, wider follower.
I would suspect any manfacturers' followers will be sized to fit the 700 magnum feed rail specs and would still be too narrow- but simple enough to call around to them and ask.
300wby uses the same magnum action as 300wm, etc. the nosler/wsm/rums are what need the extra .010"ish off each rail.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.