Rem 700 feed issue

K-HILL

Just picked up used 700 chambered in 300 wsm. When going to cycle bolt to chamber 2nd round there is a great amount of binding when trying to operate bolt.So much so that the brass is severely scratched down the whole length. I am sure this is not the first time this has happened with these rifles . Any solutions to fix this problem would greatly be welcome.

All of the short Mags do better with the center feed mag box.

I use the Watts mag box with the flat top follower. (Not expensive).

The staggered feed does not handle the Short mags well (WSMs, SAUMs and RCMs) and will sometimes only handle only 2 rounds without popping out.

Some work on the feed rails may be necessary. Any good Gunsmith can install the center feed box and follower and re work the feed rails.

I no longer attempt to tune the staggered feed boxes because the center feed works so well
and does not mark the bullet or case.

Even if the rifle was set up for Short Magnums they can still damage the case and bullet.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks Not looking for quick at home fix just info about anyone elses experiences .
In my opinion, most if not all factory rifles feeding systems can be improved upon. I've seen them everywhere from what you discribe to just needing a little work to make 'um "slick". None get individual attention at the factory. That "individual attention" is what makes the difference. Dealing with feed issues is best done by someone who understands the feed cycle. It's all hand work, just a little at a time. I've seen the difference that one stroke of the file can make. It can be the difference between working "slick" and not holding the rounds in the magazine, as it should. No gimicks, just straight mechanics.

Many times the edge of the magazine rails have machine marks on them. Some nearly like little saw teeth in a row. Steel being harder than brass, The rough edge will grab into the brass case, and scars it, If a sharp bump acts as a pivot point. The case will pivot out of line and feeding goes flop. A smoothing of the rails with a Arkansas Oil Stone and oil will do miracles on bad feeding. As a Police Armor I went through 3 changes of Auto pistols. About 190 magazines. By smoothing the edge of problem magazines with a rubbing the magazine lips with a hardened screwdriver shaft and a few strokes of a pocket whet stone would make a problem magazine shuck and jive. Good Luck.

Thanks for all your thoughts . Looks like a new mag box and follower are in order and any other cleanup needed at that time .
Murray

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.