Remington 700 DBM Feed Issues

edg1966

So apparently my "Pawn Shop 7mm STW" (see thread under 7 STW forum) has some feeding issues that I was not aware of prior to purchase. I put on B & C stock on and took it to the range where it shot pretty well using factory ammo. I'm beginning the process of working up some hand loads for it & would like to keep it, but am having trouble with it feeding from the magazine. At first it wouldn't pick up the round so I spread the mag a little to allow the bolt to pick up the head rather than just slide over the top. Then I ran into the problem of the rounds just wanting to fly out of the magazine when I took it out of the gun. I pinched it back a little and they seem to hold OK, but I don't really trust it. Now, when I try to cycle rounds through it the first one feeds pretty well, but sometimes the second and third want to come out at the same time. Researching (which I should have done before buying it, but that would have taken some of the fun out of it), I have found that this is a fairly common to the DBM models. This, being my first Remington, is all new to me (always had pre-'64 Winchesters or Roys).

Are there any solutions to this that aren't going to break the bank? Is it just best to work on tweaking the magazine to the correct "spread"?

Hard to be certain but, sometimes, the stock has to be relieved a little more than is obvious on the surface or DBM doesn't get installed deep enough into the stock to carry the rounds high enough for the bolt to pick them up.
I would not recommend bending the retaining ears on the magazine. Things can get nasty quickly when we start bending.

Hard to be certain but, sometimes, the stock has to be relieved a little more than is obvious on the surface or DBM doesn't get installed deep enough into the stock to carry the rounds high enough for the bolt to pick them up.
I would not recommend bending the retaining ears on the magazine. Things can get nasty quickly when we start bending.

+1

The stock thickness is more than likely the problem.

Sometimes this happens when a stock is bedded, raising the action just a little.

J E CUSTOM

Got it! I took the Dremel Tool out...how much damage can a guy do with one of those (famous last words). Anyway, I ground down the aluminum pillar directly behind the trigger guard because that seemed a little "proud" of the stocking in that area. I don't even know if I took much more than a couple thousandths of an inch. I also took some material off the cross member between the trigger and magazine well with some sandpaper and put it back together. It functions perfectly. Thanks for the advice & glad it was an easy fix!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.