rem 700 .204 feeding issue-need help

smokin502

I have a fairly new rem 700 sps 204 ruger and it has feed issue. I load 6 rounds in the internal mag and all the rounds bind about 3/4 way of the bolt closing. If I force it will put small dents on the sides of all the rounds, about 1/4" down from the neck. I have to go slow let it bind up and then pull back and try it again until it slides in. I have put about 200 rounds in it. I recently put a muzzle brake on it and now it is worse. It used to do it ever so often but now its every round. Any help would be great. Thanks.

I have a fairly new rem 700 sps 204 ruger and it has feed issue. I load 6 rounds in the internal mag and all the rounds bind about 3/4 way of the bolt closing. If I force it will put small dents on the sides of all the rounds, about 1/4" down from the neck. I have to go slow let it bind up and then pull back and try it again until it slides in. I have put about 200 rounds in it. I recently put a muzzle brake on it and now it is worse. It used to do it ever so often but now its every round. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Try just putting 4 or 5 rounds in the mag. I think 6 is to many, you have to have a little space for the first round to go down a little to kick up in the feed ramp.

It doesn't matter how many rounds I put in it, it still does it. Matter of fact it does it when I place just 1 round through the top.

I'm really surprised I'm the only one that has this issue and this gun has been around for 50-60 something years.

It doesn't matter how many rounds I put in it, it still does it. Matter of fact it does it when I place just 1 round through the top.

I'm really surprised I'm the only one that has this issue and this gun has been around for 50-60 something years.

Take it to your local Smith and see if he can trouble shoot it.

It sounds like the man spring is wrong, or the follower is wrong.

A center feed will cure all of this but it needs to be set up by a competent Smith also.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.