7 SAUM or 7 WSM?

Had the same debate a few months back. I went 7wsm (barrel still being built). It's on a savage short action so expecting about 2.975 OAL based on my measurements. I am happy running the 162 ish bullets and sacrificing a bit if I run 180s.

I liked I could snag fairly cheap 162 ELDX ammo ($32/20 cheapest I bought) and then use the once fired brass. Also winchester brass is "pennies" right now. For my hunting purposes I don't need expensive brass components so it works for me.

I was worried if I got the SAUM I would be wanting that extra 50fps (23" barrel in my case).

Time will tell but as of now I don't regret the WSM decision.

I just converted a 300wsm to 7saum. IMHO the saum case fits better in a Remington short action. If you have something longer than that, the wsm will get you better velocity.

My 7 saum with a 22" barrel is currently shooting 180eldms @ 2850 with H1000, and that's with no pressure signs at all, I think there is room to go up if I wanted to push it. But it's really accurate there and I'm looking to get a lot of life out of my ADG brass.

Go with the SAUM as it fits better into a short action and good brass is available (ADG). If you are going with a long action buy a 7mm Rem Mag.

Looking at posts from 2 yrs ago and seeing the brass shortage. Is that still a problem with the WSM? I see midway has Winchester and Hornady both for sale (in stock). I know it's not rop of the line brass, but with the correct prep why not? How about Bertram?

I load my sons model 70 7mm WSM . 162 grn eldx imr 7828ssc 3180fps.
The short action is super strong and has less flex than a long action. Thats one reason the WSMs in good rifles are tack drivers.

To do the 25 over again I would do the saum case. Better yet for the 25 would be the prc case probably. I built the 257wsm before there was a saum. If I had waited a yr I would have done the saum.
Shep

I just went through the same debate, but with the 6.5 GAP (SAUM) or 6.5WSM.
Being this is solely a target rifle, I have chosen the 6.5GAP 4s.
The accuracy was the deciding factor and the SAUM case appears to be more stable, better shoulder angle, longer neck and just easier to tune according to everyone that has one.

I am happy with my decision, just waiting on a Bartlein barrel in 1:8" twist 30" 4 groove.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.