7 SAUM or 7 WSM?

It is being built on a long action. Defiance offers a XM length which I believe is a mid length? Not sure if it is long enough to seat bullets out to 3.2 inches?
If you're on the mid legnth the WSM will shine even more. That 3,020 FPS I'm getting? You can get more. My max OAL in the box is 2.950. And there's a lot of the ELDm in the case.

I get 3050 out of a 25" barrel and short action mag box with the 7mm saum and 162 eld-x

Building my first custom and can't decide between the two? Feel like I'm giving up a little if I go with the SAUM and leaning towards the WSM. 175/180 class of bullets out of a 28 inch tube, want to be running 2900-3000fps. 90% of the rifle will be used for targets, but have plenty of opportunity for some very long shots on deer come hunting season. Will be running a Termintor brake and the rifle can weigh either around 10lbs or upwards of 16. Want something stable for long shots, but still be able to comfortably carry for an hour or two if I decide to cross some canyons. Starting to stretch my target shooting out to a mile (just for fun) no competition shooting, but vary anal about reloads and precision. Would like some real world numbers from you guys shooting these rounds. What should I expect? From what I understand the SAUM barrel life is much better than the WSM? How much better? Not going to be shooting long hot strings, so I'm not sure if I'm worried about a nothing problem? Ideas?
7saum lasts much longer great for targets and deer

I would definitely echo the fact that you probably want both in a long action. Especially the WSM. I think the SAUM is a better case if for no other reason than just the longer neck. But that high end brass is really expensive. I'm doing 2950 with a WSM out of 26" Broughton #4 with 175 ELDX and 180 HVLDs. Very tame load of RL26. I have had no problem finding Winchester WSM brass and it shoots well for me.

These guys saying how easy to tune a RSAUM is Havnt seen any of the three WSMs I have loaded for. The notion that it's merely 40 FPS faster also comical. Show me a 26" RSAUM at 2980FPS with a 180 class bullet that fits in the box.

I don't want to start a fight here, guys are definitely getting into the mid 2900's with a 26" tube and 180's with RL26. The 190 A-Tips and Berger 190 LRHT's are also putting up impressive numbers out of SAUMs in the low 2900's range. Why the WSM isn't getting the same love, I'd suspect, is largely due to the brass selection being better with Norma and ADG for the SAUM. Congrats on your 3 knockout WSM's, it's a good cartridge and I'm not disputing that. And full disclosure, I'm currently having a 7SAUM spun up to single feed 190's for my Terminus, so I'm probably just as biased 😂

Sort of went through the same discussion. Then I found the Sherm Max and going with it. Just an improvement over the SAUM. I'll be building it off a Tikka action.

Yeah the Max does kind of solve all of the above mentioned debate. For me, ringing steel and having something to monkey around with, I don't really need the extra *** the Max provides over the standard case, but it's still a sweet cartridge.

Building my first custom and can't decide between the two? Feel like I'm giving up a little if I go with the SAUM and leaning towards the WSM. 175/180 class of bullets out of a 28 inch tube, want to be running 2900-3000fps. 90% of the rifle will be used for targets, but have plenty of opportunity for some very long shots on deer come hunting season. Will be running a Termintor brake and the rifle can weigh either around 10lbs or upwards of 16. Want something stable for long shots, but still be able to comfortably carry for an hour or two if I decide to cross some canyons. Starting to stretch my target shooting out to a mile (just for fun) no competition shooting, but vary anal about reloads and precision. Would like some real world numbers from you guys shooting these rounds. What should I expect? From what I understand the SAUM barrel life is much better than the WSM? How much better? Not going to be shooting long hot strings, so I'm not sure if I'm worried about a nothing problem? Ideas?
Interesting Question.

I have shot both and they both are great cartridges but if you are shooting target 90 percent of the time then the saum is a better Choice if you are looking for top accuracy the saum is easy to tune and much better brass again with 28 in barrel both will get you 3000 FPS with heavies happy shooting

I'm on my second 7WSM custom rifle. Accuracy has always been good and it will easily outpace a 7SAUM if that matters. The only reason I considered a 7SAUM was because of the better brass available. However, with a little case prep on the Win brass (and neck turning) I can consistently shoot under .5moa @ 400yds. Tighter groups than that would probably require more consistent brass or weight sorting the Win brass which I can't be bothered with.

D4870B2E-5473-49BF-8A47-121F91D31515.jpeg
These guys saying how easy to tune a RSAUM is Havnt seen any of the three WSMs I have loaded for. The notion that it's merely 40 FPS faster also comical. Show me a 26" RSAUM at 2980FPS with a 180 class bullet that fits in the box. Fast and accurate!

Here you go. 7saum. 26 inch barrel. 180 Berger Hybrids @ 3060fps. RL26. ADG brass (on the 6th reload). And they fit in the box!

D4F65EE0-6369-4D58-BC32-7762D41F9309.jpeg

Last edited:
My previous F class rifle was a straight 284 Winchester and it shot 183 SMK @ 2900 in a 28" barrel. I'm no 7mm stranger. I have had 7mm AI up to 7mm rum and everything in between. The 7 WSMs are all you can get out of a short action for LR application.

Next one up is going to be a heavier 284 shehane.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.