7 PRC SAAMI approved

For all the custom Rifle Crowd there is already 7-Blaser & 300-Blaser brass out there. Anything you could possibly want already exists.

Guys, I love the 7LRM. We introduced that cartridge back in 2010. Originally I worked with Lonnie Hummel with Hornady to design the case for manufacturability. We started making guns with formed 375 Ruger brass. It was hard by the time we were done with it, and we were able to get 3100 fps with a 180. Put it in context, at the time there were the 7 Rem Mag and the 7 STW....that was it!

After we brought up mass production with the Hornady-made brass, we found we had to reduce the speed to around 3k. I've killed hundreds of animals using all of the different 7s, and find myself coming back to the LRM case every time. It's just right! The engineering team at Hornady is awesome. Truly. We've worked on a lot of projects together. I sent them a print for a 6.5 SLRM (Short Long Range Magnum) back in 2012, guess where that went! We brought them a bullet design (which I'm sure they put in file 13) for a controlled expansion, tipped LR hunting bullet. And I pushed for years to get it done. Finally, the ELDx.

I've been pushing to get them to make a 7mm on their PRC line using their Hornady magic for at least 6 years, so if my math is right, it's time for something to happen! I really hope it does. The 7 LRM is the only non-Samii cartridge we chamber for, and we would replace it in a heartbeat. I'm not a big fan of "wildcats". I've heard the same rumors that there is an impending release of a new cartridge. I don't think it does any good to speculate or change any plans until something real materializes. I have been around them rumor mill long enough to take the attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it", for now, I'll cross my fingers and hope for an announcement from the only people that really know...Hornady.

As to getting paid for design ideas. If you put something out there, it's fair game. No one would pay for open source info. Even if you have a patent, most of the time that doesn't mean anything. The world of IP and Trade Secrets is a scary place. We spend a lot of money on R&D and new product development, so much most of you would be flabbergasted! I can't imagine the investment a company like Hornady makes. I hope that they keep bringing us stuff that changes our space, and I hope they make lots of money to reinvest in more R&D! ...and I really hope that my baby (7 LRM) makes it to the big time.

Guys, I love the 7LRM. We introduced that cartridge back in 2010. Originally I worked with Lonnie Hummel with Hornady to design the case for manufacturability. We started making guns with formed 375 Ruger brass. It was hard by the time we were done with it, and we were able to get 3100 fps with a 180. Put it in context, at the time there were the 7 Rem Mag and the 7 STW....that was it!

After we brought up mass production with the Hornady-made brass, we found we had to reduce the speed to around 3k. I've killed hundreds of animals using all of the different 7s, and find myself coming back to the LRM case every time. It's just right! The engineering team at Hornady is awesome. Truly. We've worked on a lot of projects together. I sent them a print for a 6.5 SLRM (Short Long Range Magnum) back in 2012, guess where that went! We brought them a bullet design (which I'm sure they put in file 13) for a controlled expansion, tipped LR hunting bullet. And I pushed for years to get it done. Finally, the ELDx.

I've been pushing to get them to make a 7mm on their PRC line using their Hornady magic for at least 6 years, so if my math is right, it's time for something to happen! I really hope it does. The 7 LRM is the only non-Samii cartridge we chamber for, and we would replace it in a heartbeat. I'm not a big fan of "wildcats". I've heard the same rumors that there is an impending release of a new cartridge. I don't think it does any good to speculate or change any plans until something real materializes. I have been around them rumor mill long enough to take the attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it", for now, I'll cross my fingers and hope for an announcement from the only people that really know...Hornady.

As to getting paid for design ideas. If you put something out there, it's fair game. No one would pay for open source info. Even if you have a patent, most of the time that doesn't mean anything. The world of IP and Trade Secrets is a scary place. We spend a lot of money on R&D and new product development, so much most of you would be flabbergasted! I can't imagine the investment a company like Hornady makes. I hope that they keep bringing us stuff that changes our space, and I hope they make lots of money to reinvest in more R&D! ...and I really hope that my baby (7 LRM) makes it to the big time.
Nice to hear it from the source. I am just going down my first 7mm rabbit hole and started with the 7SAUM mostly because of your podcast and the high praise it receives. The 7LRM making it to the big leagues would only make your lives easier having factory ammo on the shelf rather than a 1 source wildcat.

I just ordered a 7mm-LRM reamer for a build, hopefully it's what Hornady is looking at as it's a great cartridge, thanks for chiming in, always enjoy your podcast and info, cheers

I just ordered a 7mm-LRM reamer for a build, hopefully it's what Hornady is looking at as it's a great cartridge, thanks for chiming in, always enjoy your podcasts and info, cheers

Saw this on another forum? Wonder if this is where they are headed…

Attachments

• C9A21E46-B7DD-431E-85F6-F2D56F391A6E.jpeg
    C9A21E46-B7DD-431E-85F6-F2D56F391A6E.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 133
It's somewhat similar to the 7 LRM (info posted on Gunwerks below). Honestly, I expected a little longer main body length. That print is probably going to be closer in volume to the 7 Rem Mag. The 7LRM/7 Practical/7 Mashburn are all a little bigger & in the sweet spot target volume. If you want a bigger than that, just go to the 7 RUM.

Screenshot_20220619-224415_Chrome Beta.jpg

Last edited:
The base to shoulder dimension is all over the place with the 375 Ruger, 300 PRC, and the posted JGS 7 PRC print. Guess we will just have to wait and see what dimension it becomes.

1655732385898.png

1655732404058.png

1655732529936.png

Recent Posts