7 PRC SAAMI approved

My guess is it will beat the 7RM by case efficiency barely. But Hornady and gun writers will hype it up as "THE" do it all cartridge of this century. It will most likely be a hunter's hit. Reloaders have giving the 7RM a bad rap for many years with the belted case voodoo, which I have been reloading that case for 20+ years with no problems. 7WSM is pretty much dead and its a shame, great round. 7saum is a little weak. And other 7's cross the avg hunters recoil threshold that can beat it. So yeah I think it will be a hit and Hornady will sell it on hype that's what they do. Might have to trade in my great 7RM for one...it has that belt you know.

Last edited:
I think my smith already has a reamer but need to verify it has been received and n hand.

I can't believe this surprises anyone
It's literally tracking perfectly with the PRC legacy.

Look at the creedmore, basically zero improvement over the .260 Rem

Lets not forget that the 6.5 PRC capacity is about 1.5 grains over the already optimized 6.5x284 for maybe a 25 fps gain..

The 300 PRC is identical to the 300 WM, and lags behind even a saami 30 Nos.

If the .260 was better why did the 6.5 Creedmoor crush it despite a 10 year head start?

If the 6.5-284 was better why is it only primarily a handloaders cartridge with almost no factory rifles offered?

If the 30 Nosler was better why does is have a 3.4" COAL and a 10 twist barrel same as the 300 WM?

The fact of the matter is that Hornady found a niche in offering factory options for what handloaders and custom rifle builders have been doing for years. Instead of tweaking existing cartridges to make them work better for long range shooting they simply made their own.

This is good for everyone.
Think of how the shooting sports are growing. Even if hardcore hunters are diminishing these men and women will be there to help protect our rights and vote.

I bet those towns that are making ammo and rifles are glowing with pride like the steel and auto industry once did.
Google Sig Sauer NH and see their commitment. If it wasn't 4 hours from here I bet I could find a job there tomorrow.

I love the "old" stuff but not going to put down the next hot rod! Even if it's just another Chevy.
I have a stable full of .280AI's so it may take awhile for me to get on the bandwagon;)

If the .260 was better why did the 6.5 Creedmoor crush it despite a 10 year head start?

If the 6.5-284 was better why is it only primarily a handloaders cartridge with almost no factory rifles offered?

If the 30 Nosler was better why does is have a 3.4" COAL and a 10 twist barrel same as the 300 WM?

The fact of the matter is that Hornady found a niche in offering factory options for what handloaders and custom rifle builders have been doing for years. Instead of tweaking existing cartridges to make them work better for long range shooting they simply made their own.
I didn't say the first 2 cartridges were better, only that they weren't improved upon.
Basic reading comprehension brother..

The parts about Hornady "Instead of tweaking existing cartridges" & "they simply made their own" are absolutely false and hilarious at the same time, If anyone worth their salt knew anything about "existing cartridges" they would never make such a bold, ignorant claim.... and I mean that as in straight up front, hard facts & not a rib

ALL of Hornady's "modern marvels" are versions of existing cartridges and one in particular, is a pirated version of a 20 year old propriety cartridge, minor tweaking of case dims & viola .... Hornady cartridges all suffer from "pre-existing conditions" truth .....

The 260 is better, Put a long throat on it and a fast twist, It will out perform the cm wonder cartridge anyday of the week, And so will the Swede. I do beleive the 6.5 PRC is better than the 6.5-284, Only because it does not have a rebated rim, And it is a more efficient case.

@Swamplord I feel your pain but at the same time in this day and age it's almost impossible to look at a "new" cartridge and not go hey that is pretty much an X but with these little changes. not really anything revolutionary happening lately. I'm not sold on this 7 PRC. I'm sure it will work great but if I was doing it I'd take a 300 PRC and neck it down and call it a day, well actually if I was doing it I'd give it a 40* shoulder also.

The 260 is better, Put a long throat on it and a fast twist, It will out perform the cm wonder cartridge anyday of the week, And so will the Swede. I do beleive the 6.5 PRC is better than the 6.5-284, Only because it does not have a rebated rim, And it is a more efficient case.

Right, and a fast twist 270 is a different beast than an off the shelf 270. But, factory offerings (SAAMI spec) appeal to the majority of gun owners and hunters who buy off the shelf rifles and ammo. A longer throat and faster twist on the .260 or the 6.5x55 and voila, you have a new cartridge. Or, someone buys your 156gr long throat ammo and its jammed in the lands (or has to jump a mile).

In an attempt to get the thread back on the rails:

Drawing looks nice, interesting choice to not just neck down the 300 but it should yield longer barrel life. The high end brass market for 6.5/300 PRC brass has added a lot of great manufacturers in recent years, I'm sure this cartridge will receive the same support. Likely the same support from hornady and rifle manufacturers as well. Hornady seems to stand behind their cartridges (despite its limited success, the 300 RCM has a factory precision hunter loading). I can't see myself getting worked up when someone gives me another option.

I'm also interested to see if the brass wildcats into anything fun, although I don't currently have a long action laying around.