7 PRC SAAMI approved

Sounds like Hornady got mad someone beat them to it and Gunwerx got PAID!
Aaron said hornady was doing all their lrm stuff to begin with so I'm sure it was some type of mutual agreement that got them both what they wanted. Agreed I'm sure they got paid!

Sounds like Hornady got mad someone beat them to it and Gunwerx got PAID!
Horandy made the original 7lrm gunwerks brass, and it was absolutely fkn garbage. The first rifle I ever built was a 7lrm by ts customs in 2015, the case capacity should send a 180hyb to 3100 w/o much problem, my 26" would shoot very well at 3000fps, but primer pockets were toast after 2 firings. Hopefully this adg brass along with Wheeler chamber specs at the web help.

Horandy made the original 7lrm gunwerks brass, and it was absolutely fkn garbage. The first rifle I ever built was a 7lrm by ts customs in 2015, the case capacity should send a 180hyb to 3100 w/o much problem, my 26" would shoot very well at 3000fps, but primer pockets were toast after 2 firings. Hopefully this adg brass along with Wheeler chamber specs at the web help.
Whose reamer are you using?

I'm actually kinda ****ed that they're just rebranding the LRM.
Hornady did something similar with the PRC, originally they made 6.5 saum brass for GA precision, and later screwed up a good thing by lengthening the case and decreasing capacity by 6 grains.

The 7 wsm case capacity is 82 grains, 7rm is 83-84 grains, 7 LRM is 87 grains, and the 28 nos is 102 grains.
Why couldn't they just neck the **** prc down and give us a 7mm around 94 grains??

Whatever at least we'll finally have a solid saami 7mm with available components.
Maybe we can actually move on from the decade of 6.5 miracles

Yeah pretty much
And it's definitely an improvement in both cases
I think a lot of people would have liked to have seen a 7PRC that mirrored a 6.5 prc. Something efficient that can be run in a medium action and excels in a short barrel suppressed rifle. How is this different than a 28 nosler?

Whose reamer are you using?
My gunsmith and I designed one. I measured a bunch of gunwerks/adg brass, got proper neck diameter based on 5 loaded new cases. Also purchased once fired brass, ran through the gunwerks bushing dies. Determined not a lot of sizing occurring at the web going on, so went with Wheeler spec 535 web vs the gunwerks 533 dimension. It is after all 300prc parent. Gunwerks used a 322 neck diameter as the older Hdy brass had thick necks. The 5 new cases I seated bullets in was 315, so we went with 320 neck, with 0.150k freebore.

People keep saying that this is all Hornady marketing, and a money grab.

On the first, it's way more than that. Hornady is essentially pushing the easy button on a 7mm cartridge that has a) good factory ammo with a good selection of high BC bullets, which Hornady controls themselves, b) barrel twist, free bore, etc that don't need modification from the factory to shoot heavies, c) if it is like the 6.5cr (which I own but don't own any PRC's) it will be easy to load for (which Dallas commented on, and he is as qualified as anyone here to speak on that), and d) industry support because Hornady will make sure it is there and because people have seen the success of the recent Hornady cartridges. That is way more than marketing…those are savvy business decisions with an understanding of the market.

On the second point, that's how our economy is set up. You take risk and invest to create something of value, and if successful you reap returns, sometimes large returns. No one is stopping anyone else from doing this but Hornady is the one pushing the envelope here, which will likely make others in the industry innovate around it.

People lament how Remington messed up the 260 launch and the 280 / 7mm Express launch and how the 260 is such a great round but is handicapped by how Remington launched it. Hornady has the blueprint on how to launch a new cartridge and has refined it with the Creedmoors and PRC's, and people are complaining about that now.

If you like it, buy it. If you don't, don't buy it but keep in mind they are giving other companies a reason to innovate around this (possibly new bullets, more factory options with twist and free bore), which should benefit all of us.

Last edited:
Kinda lame when Hornady gets the credit for "modern beltless" when hundreds of beltless cartridges already existed on the planet for over a hundred years

for example ... these "beltless" 7mm cartridges were designed before both World Wars

280 Ross 1906
7x57 Meunier 1913
276 Enfield 1913
280 Jeffery 1913

web dimension are mighty close to the PRC fluff, some might say that Hornady never created anything new, and they would be 1000% correct, they just modified existing parent cases and renamed them, basic wildcatting is all, nothing new or extraordinary .....

Aside from these facts ...

the 7-300 PRC with 95-97 gr h20 cap would have been neat, oooooo, finally a modern beltless 7mm STW ! hahahaha !

but instead they will probably do the chopped "modern beltless" version of the 7mm Rem Mag, in search of some ridiculous efficiency silliness..... meh, either way .....

Apparently a 7 PRC has been SAAMI approved and should be released this summer.

Oh buddy!
That's some really good news since I am planning to build one this year.

The question is, will it be a 7mmx300 Ruger .375 or a 7mm using a blown out 6.5 PRC Case? If the former, I'm all in and it should put us somewhere between the 7mm STW and 7mm Rum using close to the same charge as the STW but hopefully with 150-200fps gain in velocity.

If it's just the 6.5 PRC blown out to 7mm it won't be much if any improvement over the 7RM velocity wise.

It won't replace my STW's but it will let them rest a bit more. :D

Last edited:
Kinda lame when Hornady gets the credit for "modern beltless" when hundreds of beltless cartridges already existed on the planet for over a hundred years

for example ... these "beltless" 7mm cartridges were designed before both World Wars

280 Ross 1906
7x57 Meunier 1913
276 Enfield 1913
280 Jeffery 1913

web dimension are mighty close to the PRC fluff, some might say that Hornady never created anything new, and they would be 1000% correct, they just modified existing parent cases and renamed them, basic wildcatting is all, nothing new or extraordinary .....

Aside from these facts ...

the 7-300 PRC with 95-97 gr h20 cap would have been neat, oooooo, finally a modern beltless 7mm STW ! hahahaha !

but instead they will probably do the chopped "modern beltless" version of the 7mm Rem Mag, in search of some ridiculous efficiency silliness..... meh, either way .....
Why is everybody so hung up on this crap? Money grab, taking credit, etc - it sounds like middle school.

Anybody, at any time, could have put the money towards SAAMI approval of any cartridge, and the money behind marketing to push it to the masses.

The salt is very real in this thread.

To try to turn this ship around, who that is interested in the new PRC, wants to start giving specs on how they will put together there rifle?

I for one, will be selling my 6.5 PRC and CM stuff very shortly to get prepped for this new 7mm.