6x284 Norma Info

Pakinrax

So ive been a member here for almost 3 yrs but dont post at all. I read for hours and have gotten tons of info from this forum. I wanted to kinda indroduce myself and also ask if anyone has some updated 6x284 Norma load data. I searched for info but everything is 3-10yrs+ old. Does anyone have any updated load info with some new powders? I just put this barrel on the rifle. Its a switch barrel/bolt rifle. 6x284 Norma and 6.5 SAUM. Its a long action so both rounds have very long throats. I should be breaking in and testing the 6.5 SAUM this week sometime. Heres some info on the rifle....

Trued Rem 700 Long Action
28" Muller Works Marksman contour barrel
1-7.75 twist 4 groove
Manners T5A Midnight camo
Surgeon DBM
Timney 510 trigger
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 & Steel Nightforce rings.
20moa Farrell pic rail
20180207_131410.jpg

Ive been mainly using RL26 for the first 40rds down the tube. Tried RL33, it duplicated the RL26 velocity but with 6-7gr more powder. Anyway, like i said above, if you have any info on a good load for the 6x284 feel free to post whatever you want. It seems like the 6x284 Norma isnt as popular as it once was? She's a hotrod barrel burner but thats fine by me. I plan on running it as close to max as accurately possible. I'd like to get a good starting point for some 87gr VMax or any other varmint popping bullet that wont explode before it gets to the target. Thanks

So ive been a member here for almost 3 yrs but dont post at all. I read for hours and have gotten tons of info from this forum. I wanted to kinda indroduce myself and also ask if anyone has some updated 6x284 Norma load data. I searched for info but everything is 3-10yrs+ old. Does anyone have any updated load info with some new powders? I just put this barrel on the rifle. Its a switch barrel/bolt rifle. 6x284 Norma and 6.5 SAUM. Its a long action so both rounds have very long throats. I should be breaking in and testing the 6.5 SAUM this week sometime. Heres some info on the rifle....

Trued Rem 700 Long Action
28" Muller Works Marksman contour barrel
1-7.75 twist 4 groove
Manners T5A Midnight camo
Surgeon DBM
Timney 510 trigger
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 & Steel Nightforce rings.
20moa Farrell pic rail
View attachment 90971
Ive been mainly using RL26 for the first 40rds down the tube. Tried RL33, it duplicated the RL26 velocity but with 6-7gr more powder. Anyway, like i said above, if you have any info on a good load for the 6x284 feel free to post whatever you want. It seems like the 6x284 Norma isnt as popular as it once was? She's a hotrod barrel burner but thats fine by me. I plan on running it as close to max as accurately possible. I'd like to get a good starting point for some 87gr VMax or any other varmint popping bullet that wont explode before it gets to the target. Thanks

Watching

Tom

Found a good consistent velocity node with 87gr Vmax today. Its almost 2 full grains under max pressure in my rifle.
87gr Vmax
RL-23 (52.7gr)
CCI BR2
Necked down 6.5x284 Lapua brass

Attachments

• 20180223_111604.jpg
    20180223_111604.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 471
  • 20180223_110651.jpg
    20180223_110651.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 366
Last edited:
i ran the exact same load and same speeds within a few feet as you with 105 hybrids and loved it!!! lazer beam rl26 was the **** in this round
Oh really? Ha, thats awesome. This is my first 6/284 and im loving it so far. Lazer beam is right!! The vapor trail is pretty **** flat and gets there in a hurry! The rifle is heavy so it barely moves. Just a fun round to shoot. The 87gr Vmax was just under 3700fps when i hit pressure. Thats flat moving. I cant wait to smack a coyote or rock chuck. Feel free to post any loads that have worked for you. It doesnt seem like many people are in to the 6/284. But man....now that i have one i think I'll always have one. Even if im rebarreling every 6-8months hahaha

If you don't mind some advice....looks like you found two loads. I suggest you stop trying any other bullet/powder combinations. Shoot it and enjoy the performance. The barrel life IS short. My Bartlein was worn out at just over 1000 rounds.

I have made two more since the heavy version. Now doing my own work and have used Rem 243 takeoffs on a sporter platform. Amazing what a 24" barrel can yield. 55 gr nosler bt @ 4100 fps without any strain. 95 gr Berger classic hunter @ 3495 fps. When the barrel dies I will rechamber another 243 barrel for only $60 or so.

If you don't mind some advice....looks like you found two loads. I suggest you stop trying any other bullet/powder combinations. Shoot it and enjoy the performance. The barrel life IS short. My Bartlein was worn out at just over 1000 rounds.

I have made two more since the heavy version. Now doing my own work and have used Rem 243 takeoffs on a sporter platform. Amazing what a 24" barrel can yield. 55 gr nosler bt @ 4100 fps without any strain. 95 gr Berger classic hunter @ 3495 fps. When the barrel dies I will rechamber another 243 barrel for only $60 or so.
Thank you for your advice. I agree 100% with finding a load and sticking with it. I have almost 60rds down the tube now and ive tried the 3 bullets i wanted to try and found my loads (108's and 87's) along with some long range steel shooting. I dont plan on doing anymore load development. The Satterlee method has really sped up my load development.

I was running fed210 match primers though and mine was a 26 in bart and was roasted in 975 rounds. shot it for coyotes and rock chucks light gun, suppressed, it was fun and crazy flat!! i was using old 284 win Winchester brand brass and man that stuff is tuff!! easy tuned and maybe took 30 rounds to get it shooting under 1/2" @200 yards and get drops dialed not very finicky at all really. makes a pretty loud whack when you hit a yote in head at 388 yards also :)

I was running fed210 match primers though and mine was a 26 in bart and was roasted in 975 rounds. shot it for coyotes and rock chucks light gun, suppressed, it was fun and crazy flat!! i was using old 284 win Winchester brand brass and man that stuff is tuff!! easy tuned and maybe took 30 rounds to get it shooting under 1/2" @200 yards and get drops dialed not very finicky at all really. makes a pretty loud whack when you hit a yote in head at 388 yards also :)
Oh man that sounds like a badass rig! ****...a coyote in the head at 388...i hope i can hear a whack like that soon. Was that with the 105 Hybrid? Did it just take his head clean off?? 975rds....close enough to the 1000rd everyone says haha! But man....a 105-108 at 3450-3500fps is pretty **** fun in my book. Load development was very quick! Did the Satterlee method, loaded 5 at the highest velocity node at .010" off the lands. Couldnt believe both the 105's and 108's shot well under .5" first try. Did the same thing for the 87's but 2.900" base to to tip length and boom, shot well under .5" again. I couldnt be more pleased with it so far. Whats crazy is i did load work for the 108's then pulled this barrel off, did load work for my 6.5 SAUM then spun this barrel back on to shoot the 87gr's. I never re zero'd the scope after the barrel swap. I went straight to 538yds and 3 in a row on a 6" plate. Then went to 755yds and got a first round hit on a 10" plate. No re zero at 100yds before the shots. Mighta been luck.....i dont know.

it went in 6mm hole just under its eye socket and basically took everything from mid skull back and turned it into mist ear and all!! i was very surprised at the amount of damage actually! yes 105 hybrid .. hit them alot in the front shoulder and makes a nasty hole out the other side about the size of a soft ball!

Thanks for the info...

Just got my 28" Savage pre fit in 6x284. Are you just necking down your 6.5x284 brass? Any issues with resizing the neck? Got my barrel with a longer throat...to shoot the heavies. Will be shooting out of the same Long Action as my 6.5x284. Same go/no go gauges and the same brass...what more could you want...

Am I wrong in thinking that I will get longer barrel life with the slower moving heavies?

Thanks

Thanks for the info...

Just got my 28" Savage pre fit in 6x284. Are you just necking down your 6.5x284 brass? Any issues with resizing the neck? Got my barrel with a longer throat...to shoot the heavies. Will be shooting out of the same Long Action as my 6.5x284. Same go/no go gauges and the same brass...what more could you want...

Am I wrong in thinking that I will get longer barrel life with the slower moving heavies?

Thanks
Sounds like you have a good set up right there! Way easier then my set up haha. when i necked down my 6.5x284 Lapua brass i first took out the seating stem of the seater die and ran the brass through it for the first pass. It slightly sizes down the neck then the final pass through the full length sizer die finishes it up. I had to neck turn my brass because my chamber has a .274" neck and a loaded unturned piece of brass was .275". As far as the barrel life thing goes. It all comes down to how hard you push whatever bullet you end up shooting. Pressure and heat have alot to do with it. Pushing a 55gr bullet at 3500fps will yield a longer barrel life then a 105gr bullet at the same 3500fps because of the pressures and heat it takes to get a heavy bullet moving. But thats not saying shooting lighter bullets will help barrel life. You might ask some of the guys that have a few of these 6x284 barrels under their belt if they have any tricks or advice on barrel life. I'd say just rip them heavies as quick as you accuratly can cause thats why we get a cartridge like this instead of a small 6mm!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.