6x284

Randy338

what is a good bullet weight for a 1-10 barrel twist in 6-284.is the 85-90 grain about the heaviest I can run and stabilize.

Marriedman, you will still be able to satabllize the 105's and 107's with the 1-10 twist. I am going to use a 1-8.5 on my 6x284, however, I will not be able to use the smaller bullets.

Your going to love the 6x284. IMO, the 6x284 is the best overall 6mm for long range varminting . It gives you Distance, Velocity and Accuracy all wrapped into one. The 6BR is proably the most accurate and is better on your barrel. However, the 6x284 is better for long range varmint hunting.

The 1-10 twist will shoot the 87grn V-max very well. I was shooting the 87grn V-max out of my 6x284 with a 30", 1-12 twist barrel at 3750fps, it was awesome.

Wildcat

95 bergers would be a very good choice. the 105 amaxes will not stay together after 3200ish, and the 107 smk's are a gonna need a stiff charge to get stabilized.

Wildcat the lighter bullets will work fine. I like the 55 nbt's for splattering Pd's out of my 8 twist

d-a

Regarding your question. The 6x284 allows you to shoot the heavier bullets faster than either the 6BR, 6BRX, 6mmAI, and 243AI. The 6x284 gives you more power, for kills, at longer ranges and bucks the wind better too. The other 6mm's, I mentioned, are all awesome for varmints. They each have their + and -. I just perfer the 6x284, because it has more punch down range. However, it is harder on barrels.

Wildcat

Sorry but I also wanted to mention that i want to hunt whitetail dear....Most people in the area use a 243 and shoot 100 grain bullets but should i go a little under that and push it or should i go a litle heavier..Longest shot will probably be about 400 yards...New to the little guns so need some help here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

for deer

85 or 95 grain partition

I would still try the 95 bergers to see all though berger recomends a 1-9 twist but you will be pushing them faster to get the rpms up.

d-a

I'm pretty sure the 95 grain Berger will stabalize, infact I'd bet a box of'em on it. My 6mm Rem. with a 1/10" twist shoots all the above mentioned bullets, even the 107 SMKs, into 1" or so groups at 200 yds. It's just a plain old factory BDL-V with a 24" pipe and the throat is so shot out I can't reach the lands with any of them... yet, it still shoots bug holes. I guess it's kind of like a Weatherby... a little freebore never hurt anybody.

I'd shoot the 87 V-Max at coyotes and the 95 Nosler BT at Deer... the 95 Berger would be a good option on hooved critters too. Although, I wouldn't expect 3750 out of an 87 grainer... ole' Wildcat likes to lean on the powder scale a little... then pull the trigger HARD. ~JT

Ok somebody give me a blistering load for a 95 grain berger in a 6-284.....Ill give them a whirl... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

25AOD, are you saying I am lying about the velocity I got with my prior 6x284. I really hope not. I was getting between 3730 and 3750fps using the 87grn V-max. There were no signs of pressure, and I could have pushed it harder if I wanted to, however, I stoped because it was shooting .1 inch groups at 100 yards. I used 53grns of H4350, Lapua Brass, and 210Match primer to get that velocity and accuracy with the 87grn V-Max. I used a Nesika Model K, 1.470 Diameter Action, 30", 1-12 twist Krieger Barrel.

Wildcat

I'm not saying your lying... just shooting some pretty hot loads. I could probably get a 6/284 to shoot 87's at 4000 and using the right components "see no signs of pressure", but that don't make it right. If a 25-06 won't shoot 87s that fast... a 6/284 sure as hell won't. I've owned a couple of 6/284s and never seen one get anywhere near that kind of velocity. In fact, my 6mm Rem is a frog's hair slower than my 6/284 was with any bullet. I just tend to notice a trend of excessive velocity claims from a number of members on this board... and I'm sure they all have probably seen those numbers on their Chronys. But that doesn't mean it's what should be expected within the normal realms of pressure. Just because your heart doesn't palpatate doesn't mean your blood pressure isn't way too high either... but gone undiagnosed/untreated it can lead to bad things. Same can be said of reloading... just because you don't see the signs of excessive pressure doesn't mean they aren't there. The best sign of excessive pressure is velocities that are out of wack... that's all I'm saying.

And like Momma always used to say:
"It's better to put a sign at the top of the cliff... than an Ambulance at the bottom!!"

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.