6mm xc loads

LBEdgin

Well I had my 6mm xc (1-8 twist) for a month now and really like the round. It's in a Savage model 12 lrp set up, and I added new glass last week. I went with the Zeiss S3 lrp 6-36x56 which I feel married up with the 6 xc really well. The scope is clear edge to edge which is the norm for the Zeiss I own which is now three, great scopes. I have developed two great loads using the 107 Sierra TMK and 108 Bergers with IMR4831 & RL19. I stocked up on both powders and the 107's & 108's. But after the last shortage of powders I'm looking for a couple other loads. I tried H4350 but the best I could get from it was around an inch or so. The IMR4831 & RL19 are giving me .3 to .4 groups with a few .2 groups if i do my part. With that I know the gun will do it, and it's just a matter of finding what it likes. My question to anyone willing to share where they had the best luck in powders. I was thinking of trying RL16 but wanted to check to see if anyone has had any luck with it? Or anything else they are willing to share. Thanks inadvance.

Well my 6xc really likes h4350 with 105 amax's. I have never tried another powder in it. I've tried h4350, rl16 and rl23 in my 6 creedmoor and rl23 was best then rl16 with 108 Berger elite hunters. I know it's a different case but they are pretty close. What brass and primers are you using?

Peterson Brass & cci primers. Said you had luck with RL23? I never thought about trying it, and I do have it on hand with some 108gr Bergers. Do you mine sharing your starting load? I will do a ladder test with it. And yes I was surprised that the H4350 didn't preform better than it did as so many folks has had great luck with it, and I ran a larger ladder than I normally do, but an inch or so was the best I could get.

Peterson Brass & cci primers. Said you had luck with RL23? I never thought about trying it, and I do have it on hand with some 108gr Bergers. Do you mine sharing your starting load? I will do a ladder test with it. And yes I was surprised that the H4350 didn't preform better than it did as so many folks has had great luck with it, and I ran a larger ladder than I normally do, but an inch or so was the best I could get.
I'm pretty sure I'm at 43 grains in the 6 Creed with lapua brass with cci450's. It's a mild load at 3000fps

I'll start there and see where it goes, and thank you for the info as it saves both time and $$. I was somewhat surprised to find the IMR4831 & RL19 gave me good loads and not reading much about them on some of these forms. I guess it goes to show that some guns have different likes than others. Thanks again.

39.5, and 40.5g of H4350, small primer brass, Rem 7 1/2 107g Sierra hammers groups into bug holes, 8T barrels. I found another node at 41.5g of H4350 difficult to kill the primer pockets on the Palma brass. I have 900 rounds on 30 cases.

about the same of R#17 for 100 fps more, but fire cracking will occur within 400 rounds.

Op, if you did not get H4350 to work, I suspect that you did not shoot the loads hot enough, or used the wrong size neck bushing, but I am only guessing.

I made brass from Chinese military 308, PMC, Lake City, and Lapua 308 Palma, all brass shot 1/4" groups, even the Chinese brass. I use a set of form dies from Paul Bike and neck turned.

In my 30" barrel, 107g sierra, nodes were at 2950, 3050, 3150 with H4350 and 3250 with the R#17, all with Palma brass and Rem 7 1/2 primers. I was using a RASS tuner/brake and groups were so small I will not even talk about it.

The 6 XC has proved to be about as idiot proof as they come when it comes to tuning a load, crappy brass proved that point.

For my hunting 6XC, I mostly stick to the 100gr and lighter bullets.
If you have H4350 powder, you have pretty much the best performer as to the accuracy and down-range performance.

My Deer hunting load is:
Norma case.
H4350 (39.5grs)
Nosler 100gr Partition SP
Federal 210 primer.
Vels 3000 fps
from my 26" Wby MarkV Varmitmaster 1-8" custom.
it's a 3/4" MOA all day long.

The other powder I like and that works well as a backup to H4350 is H-100 V (39.5grs) behind a 100 gr bullet.

Last would be VV N-560 (42.9grs) behind either a 107gr or 105gr bullet, in my rifle I found that the 105gr Hornady A-Max was one of the most accurate bullets I've used in my rifle, but... I like the construction of the old Nosler Partition for Deer size game. velocity was always just over 3000 fps, which is always been the magical number for my 6XC

The top rifle is my custom 6XC the bottom one is a .224 Wby mag, both on Weatherby MarkV Varmintmaster, the custom 6XC that was originally a .22-250 Rem in the Weatherby MarkV Varmintmaster that they offered at one time.

Good luck, Cheers

6mmXC Wby Varmintmaster top .224 Wby Mag Vamintmaster bottom 001 - Copy (2).jpg

I burn out a 6XC barrel in PRS with 115DTACs and H4350. If H4350 was not available, I would try H4831SC. I used Varget too but I save all my Varget for 6BRA and 6Dasher now

David Tubb is the "daddy" of the 6XC and his load recommendations are his 115DTAC and H4350. I know some PRS shooters who used 107SMKs and H4350 too.

I burn out a 6XC barrel in PRS with 115DTACs and H4350. If H4350 was not available, I would try H4831SC. I used Varget too but I save all my Varget for 6BRA and 6Dasher now

David Tubb is the "daddy" of the 6XC and his load recommendations are his 115DTAC and H4350. I know some PRS shooters who used 107SMKs and H4350 too.
I have 5 - 6XC guns- three have Schneider 1 X 7.5 twist ( per D.T. recommendation when I started building 6XC's) two guns likes 41.5 grains of H4350 pushing a Hornady 103 ELDX- another one likes 42 grains of H4350 pushing the same bullet- I use this load on my 105 Berger VLD Hunting bullets also- both loads are killer on deer, antelope and feral hogs short to long range. My long range WT deer kill of 17 yards last year was with the 103 ELDX. I also have two guns I had re-chambered , one was a Remington 700 ADL that was a used online gun chambered in a 6 X 250 Savage 1 X 10 twist barrel and another was a Shilen DGA that has a 1 X 10 twist that was a wildcat of some form that I did not want to leave alone, they both like 37 grains of 8208 XBR pushing 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3456 FPS average. I am with you on trying H4831 SC or Varget on 95-115 grain bullets, since I have maintained a stock of H4350 I have not had to vary on heavy bullet loads. I have 115 DTAC 's that I mostly shoot in my 243 AI guns that are super accurate with this bullet, also 1X 7.5 twist Schneider Barrels that are now manufactured in Canadian,Texas.

Weatherby sure used nice wood once upon a time!!
Yes they did, I had those two hand-picked by Weatherby when I bought them. I wanted a very good grade wood and as close to matching each other as they possibly could get, I thought they did a very good job. Good wood and deep blue steel are hard to beat, it's soothing to the eyes. 😉 Cheers