New 6mm BR Hunting load

Stick with H4350 on the powder. Your choice of an 8 twist is a little slower than what I typically run, but should still work.

The berger 108 Elite Hunter seems like a compelling new bullet to try. I wouldn't be afraid to try the 88gr Hammer Hunter either. You'll definitely pull more velocity out of that little case with the Hammer than you will anything else in a good big game hunting weight.

The Hammers seem to really bring a different class of performance to smaller cartridges. The reduced weight, yet relatively slippery design, lets you launch them fast. Yet they penetrate very well for how light they are. I would think that combo would be great when using small cartridges to take bigger animals than the cartridge is typically used for.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I really do want to give the 88 Hammers a spin. Pardon the pun. This is NOTmy primary deer rifle, but I have a few spots, that it would be ideal. Pic nic table rifle.
I have seen first hand what Steve's Hammer Hunters will do. (Pass through 2 deer, side by side, both drt, 270 yards, 25.06ai). I have a 6.5 grendel I'm working with also. Similar, but different.

I'm having great luck with 30g Varget, Lapua Brass, CCI #450, Berger 105vld, lightly touching the lands. Here are two four shot groups on a 600 yard two inch target.

Attachments

• IMG_8375.jpg
    IMG_8375.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8376.jpg
    IMG_8376.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 29
Stick with H4350 on the powder. Your choice of an 8 twist is a little slower than what I typically run, but should still work.

The berger 108 Elite Hunter seems like a compelling new bullet to try. I wouldn't be afraid to try the 88gr Hammer Hunter either. You'll definitely pull more velocity out of that little case with the Hammer than you will anything else in a good big game hunting weight.

The Hammers seem to really bring a different class of performance to smaller cartridges. The reduced weight, yet relatively slippery design, lets you launch them fast. Yet they penetrate very well for how light they are. I would think that combo would be great when using small cartridges to take bigger animals than the cartridge is typically used for.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I'm surprised you had good luck with H4350 in the straight 6mm BR. I've used it in the Dasher and BRXx but is just couldn't get enough of it in the straight BR to get decent velocities. It did shoot well though with the 105 class if bullets.

I agree on the Hammers as well. They give a performance boost to relatively mild chamberings. I like the 88gr HH in the 6mm BR and the 99gr HH in the 6.5 Grendel.

I'm surprised you had good luck with H4350 in the straight 6mm BR. I've used it in the Dasher and BRXx but is just couldn't get enough of it in the straight BR to get decent velocities.
Some folks chase velocity. I chase accuracy/precision. Obviously those that are trying to get 2950 with a 105 in their 6BR will have no luck with H4350. ;)

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

7stw, just to show you a different avenue, make it a switch barrel:
Here's mine :
Rem short action redone for the 6mmBR
28" Pac Nor 1-12 bull ss barrel
65 VMAX @ 3576 with 34.4 @ AA2520
.020 off lands my barrel
This is my P-Dog gun I built in 2018

I had a little rangetime this past weekend. Retested this load, and the one also with it. Two bullets, two powders, same size group. This thing is too much fun.
I think I know what I'll use for deer. 🦌🦌

Attachments

• 20221014_120529.jpg
    20221014_120529.jpg
    753.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20221014_115337.jpg
    20221014_115337.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 20221014_115310.jpg
    20221014_115310.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
In my Dasher, I get 3250 fps with the 88 HH and 3050 fps with the 101 HH. I've tried IMR 4350 and couldn't get enough powder in the case to match the performance of 8208. That added with temperature sensitivity, I couldn't get a cold weather hunting load out of it. H4350 might be a better ticket there. I didn't have H4350 or Varget to try at the time I was doing load development.
Varget, works very well in mine, and others as well. Mine also responds well to 4895, and 8208. If, I only could have one, Varget is the winner.

I turned down an 8 lb jug of varget last week. Probably shouldn't have