6mm br or 284 win

6mm br or 284 win

• Total voters
CB,whats your logic again for running the 115s in the br? The 115 Bergers are actually .002 points less in bc than the 105 hybrids. I just don't know what real advantage you be gaining by doing so. Also I think you'll have a better chance finding bullets in the 105-107 range compared to the 115s. I dont think theres a a real world advantage running these in the 6br case. If you want to shoot them you should just go up to a 6x47 or 6XC as they have the extra hp needed to push them.

I have no logic right now. Just erratically gathering info to see what i like and what i dont. I really dont know anything about the 6br or its improved brothers.
Whenever i look at a caliber i alway look at the heaviest slickest bullet for that offering and work backwards. Just habit i guess.

I guess an improved 6br or even 6x47 should be on the table as well. See what i mean by erratic. Thats why i ask you guys.

Hunter 2678

After some tinkering with shooter on my lunch break and surfing the net it seems you hit the nail on the head.
The 105's and 107's seem to be the optimal choice for the 6 BR, as far as availability and ballistically.
I dont think there is any real benefit to running a heavier bullet except maybe retained energy and thats at the bottom of my list of wants.

After reading on this cartridge some more it sounds like a sweet little case that will be a lot of fun to shoot. I think the standard 6mm BR will be my next chambering.

Broz

Have you thought about using CFE223 or IMR4007ssc with your 6br. They are just a bit slower than varget, and hodgdon claims them to be pretty temp stable.

I personally have used CFE223 and had good luck with it, i just wonder how it will sit in the case being a spherical powder?

Broz

Have you thought about using CFE223 or IMR4007ssc with your 6br. They are just a bit slower than varget, and hodgdon claims them to be pretty temp stable.

I personally have used CFE223 and had good luck with it, i just wonder how it will sit in the case being a spherical powder?

I have not, like I said I did so little load work up I just quit with 1 hole 5 shot groups.:cool:

It was not until mid summertime that the RL powder reared its ugly head. I was at a long range shoot and carried the rifle over to run it through two different chronographs at the same time. It showed like a 50 fps temp swing in new found velocity. So I put the new velocity in the app and was back on. I now have a summer and winter velocity for that rifle till I switch powders.:rolleyes:

Jeff

my 6/250 barrel is a 1:8 twist barrel, and shoot almost nothing but 105 grain Amax bullets. It'll shoot the 107's just as well, but have lots of the Amax bullets laying around. I have tried a 115 grain bullet in the eight twist barrel, and the groups opened up to about .47" at 100 yards. Still got nice round holes. The 105's shoot in the quarter inch area. I'd like to think that maybe a 7.5" twist is about right for them at 2800 fps. But the issue could also be in the throat, so I'm not positive. I run the Amax's at 2950fps, and I figure that's about 75fps faster than the 6BR even though some folks are getting 2900+fps out of the 6BR with the same bullet (what kind of pressures?).

Now if it were me, and wanted a serious long range target rifle; I'd be looking at the 6x47 Lapua in a no turn chamber.
gary

my 6/250 barrel is a 1:8 twist barrel, and shoot almost nothing but 105 grain Amax bullets. It'll shoot the 107's just as well, but have lots of the Amax bullets laying around. I have tried a 115 grain bullet in the eight twist barrel, and the groups opened up to about .47" at 100 yards. Still got nice round holes. The 105's shoot in the quarter inch area. I'd like to think that maybe a 7.5" twist is about right for them at 2800 fps. But the issue could also be in the throat, so I'm not positive. I run the Amax's at 2950fps, and I figure that's about 75fps faster than the 6BR even though some folks are getting 2900+fps out of the 6BR with the same bullet (what kind of pressures?).

Now if it were me, and wanted a serious long range target rifle; I'd be looking at the 6x47 Lapua in a no turn chamber.
gary

Thats interesting. I guess the twist on the 6mm bullets is pretty picky.
Im not looking to build a serious long range gun. Just a toy that i can play with, shoot a lot and maybe even let my friends shoot with.

have you looked at the 6xc? Been around a while with a proven track record…I just bought one from GAP. Good barrel life and designed by David Tubb, whats not to like?

6XC Cartridge Guide

have you looked at the 6xc? Been around a while with a proven track record…I just bought one from GAP. Good barrel life and designed by David Tubb, whats not to like?

6XC Cartridge Guide

Yes actually, along with some of the other variations of the 6 br. I dont know if the 6xc requires it but i dont wanna fire form brass. I also just traded a shotgun for a m70 long action i think ill re barrel to 284 win, so it looks like ill get them both.

Yes actually, along with some of the other variations of the 6 br. I dont know if the 6xc requires it but i dont wanna fire form brass. I also just traded a shotgun for a m70 long action i think ill re barrel to 284 win, so it looks like ill get them both.

Norma makes head stamped brass. Fire forming is no longer required :D

years back Joe Barnes gave me one of Sealy Masker's last barrel blanks in 6mm bore. I think it was either 23" or 22" to start with. It laid around my place for two or three years just looking for a home. I had a mod. 70 in 22-250 that struggled to hold a one inch five shot group. One day for the hell of it we broke the gun down to see what was wrong. Chamber and bore were somewhat lackluster, and there was a bolt alignment issue. The rest of the receiver was in bad need of squaring up as well. The barrel threads were an oddball size (to me anyway), and took them out to a 1.156-20tpi. The stock was not bad (better than a comparable Remington), but the area under the action wasn't flat and the recoil lug sucked on a good day. I did the barrel in a standard 6BR with a borrowed reamer. The very first groups were about .40" with some generic hand loads I took out of the book and bullets that came in bulk. By the end of the day, and a couple dozen fire formed cases I was shooting in the very low three's with the same junk bullets (80 grain Remington bulk that come in a bag of 250). That rifle with 70 grain Hornaday bullets will often shoot quarter inch groups, and finding a good load is just about as easy as it can get (I don't think there are any real bad loads as long as they are compatible with the twist rate (14" twist here). I wish it had a 1:10 twist, but also realize it was a freebie.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.