6MM Remington load advice

Gary Morgan

Hey, fellow reloaders, I need a little advice on this one. I have a 40X Remington bedded and screwed into a McMillan F Class stock. It shoots in the 1s and 2s with a 22-6mm Remington Brux barrel I have shooting the 70 grain Berger VLD.

I'm going PD hunting in May, and I don't want to damage the 22-6mm with too many hot rounds. It shoots great, but it's not going to have a long life. So, I have a new LV contour Shilen barrel chambered in 6MM Remington that I have screwed onto the same platform. It's a 10-twist barrel and is 27 inches long. I decided that I need this gun to shoot from zero to 700 yards since I have the longer ranges covered with other rifles. That led me to decide on the 75 grain V-Max bullet. So far I have tried different amounts of H414 and H4831SC. It was hard for me to believe how bad the H414 shot, so I laid it aside quickly. The best three-shot group was 1/2 inch. Some were nearly two inches at 100 yards. With the H4831, I had a couple of three-shot groups in the 4-tenths range which was a little more encouraging. I haven't had a lot of time to work on this, so in an effort to shorten the learning curve, do you guys have any suggestions? I don't know, maybe 4-tenths is all I should expect from the V-Maxes. In the 22-6mm, things really started looking up when I went to the Bergers, so maybe the bullet is the issue. I guess theoretically if you can shoot 4-tenths at 100, it will be around two inches or so at 500 yards. I've used the Bergers on PDs before, but I much prefer the explosiveness of the V-Maxes.

Thanks for your opinions.

Give the 87 grain v-maxes a try... I've shot a bunch of them out of my 24" barreled Remington 700V in 6mm, and they've always produced excellent accuracy. I prefer RE-22 behind them, but any of the 4831 powders should do well too. For what it's worth, I never found the 65 and 75 grain V-Maxes to be as accurate as the 87... but that could just be me. I don't shoot a lot of the 87s anymore though, to get top accuracy I have to seat them pretty long... so they won't run through the magazine. I lean on the 55 grain Noslers for most of my 6mm work these days... they're not much for heavy lifting... but the nuke factor on smaller stuff is outstanding!

Gary, watch out, your talking about using the 75grn V-Max for 700 yard Pdog shooting. There are some on here who will get on you for doing that.

Try H4350 with the 87grn V-Max. The 87grn V-Max loves the 1-10 twist barrel, and you should be able to push that bullet out to around 3250fps to 3300fps. It will be very accurate out to 700 yards with no problem. The 75grn V-Max will shoot well out of the 1-10 twist barrl too. Either way, you will have no problems getting out to the ranges you want. However, be careful when talking about being successful with these bullets, you will be confronted and lectured about there horrible BC and how bad they perform in the wind.

W.

Ditto on the 87 gr Vmax. It is hands down the highest bc bullet you will be able to stabalize in the 10" twist. Might be able to stabalize the 95 Berger as well but will be iffy.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.