6mm varmint bullet selection

KzDurango

Hi guys i have a 6 creed with a 1-8 twist barrel.. im wanting a varmint bullet that will blow big holes in coyotes, rock chucks, ground hogs.
what would you consider ?? the 6mm 70 grain nosler ballistic tip was my go to but their always out of stock. is their another projectile thats just as good ?
Would a 6mm 55 grain nosler ballistic stabilize in a 1-8 twist ?? or will it come apart ?? to many RPMS in a 1-8 twist.. ??

I don't think a 55gn would come apart, Nosler publishes load data showing it going 4077 FPS fron a 7.5 twist.

If you want heavier I've shot the 87gn V-Max from a 243, worked fine. 3350+FPS from your rifle should be obtainable.

In stock at PV:

Hi guys i have a 6 creed with a 1-8 twist barrel.. im wanting a varmint bullet that will blow big holes in coyotes, rock chucks, ground hogs.
what would you consider ?? the 6mm 70 grain nosler ballistic tip was my go to but their always out of stock. is their another projectile thats just as good ?
Would a 6mm 55 grain nosler ballistic stabilize in a 1-8 twist ?? or will it come apart ?? to many RPMS in a 1-8 twist.. ??
Don't get all wrapped around the twist rate this twist rate that. Load up the 55 and see how your barrel likes it. I shoot 55BT using the Great Grandpa of your cartridge in a 1/9. 4000fps holds .5"@100yds and it never has come apart in flight and blows big holes with not much penetration.

When I had my 6mm AI, it was built and used for ground hogs and foxes. It was built with a 12 twist Kreiger @ 28" long. I don't think an 8 twist would make them come apart unless the barrel was rough.
Carnage was the goal. I used the 70 gr ballistic tips, 75 gr Vmax, & the 70 gr Blitz Kings,
All 3 shot plenty accurate and were explosive, the advantage going to the Blitz Kings.
I shot some 80 grain bullets, and they would really thump a varmint but the 70 - 75 grainers ruled for damage to the large ground hogs and foxes.

The 55 gr BT should be fine, years ago i barreled a 6-284 for a customer with 1-8 twist, and long throat for VLD bullets of the time, no load work was requested so I test fired the rifle and sent it off, A short while later I received a call from the customer, he was having accuracy issues, I shared my thoughts as to what I thought might help, told him if he couldn't find a suitable load to return the complete rifle and I would make things right for him, I was shooting the same rifle with a 1-12 twist for prairie dogs, I had a batch 55 gr BT for my rifle which was throated for the most part 70 gr bullets, if I remember correctly the BT were a little bit short of the lands, first 5 shot at the bence produced a 5 shot ragged hole, A fired 3 more groups, the combined average was right at 4 tenths
not bad for unturned random load for a long throated fast twist, the customer ordered a second fast twist barrel and told not do a thing and leave the gun alone, so its very probable the you will be fine, I always liked the Speer 70 gr TNT 6MM bullet for the red mist affect.

You'll be fine. Once you get over 26 cal or so it seems rifles get more sensitive to those excessive RPMs. 25 and and under for some reason just seem to tolerate "overstabilization" fine.

I've seen data about a guy running 30 grain berger flat bases out of a 22-284 with a 7 twist…broke the 5000 fps mark. Didn't blow them up. Now THATS some serious spinning!

The 55 grain hammer hunter will not come apart on you. I'm running them just under 4200 fps in my 9 twist 6mm Rem. They are devastating on groundhogs.
Not laughing at this in a mean spirited way. But those things are pricey to be blasting groundhogs!

But I'm a bit of a hypocrite I suppose. I've gone coyote and beaver hunting with a .300 win mag more than once haha

I like the Hammers so don't misunderstand my question, but are you seeing much bullet skip with these?
Great question. I have not but skip and over penetration are both concerns I have with monos and need to considered before taking the shot. It would be nice to see the dead blow line of bullets expanded to 22 and 6mm.