308 Bullet Selection

15 SST my son has a load set at sammi length with H 4895 that out of his Browing x bolt shoots a 3/8" 5 shot group. we tride the same rounds in my Weatherby both .308sand I got 3/4" mine is a shorter barrel with a faster twist. so a little load development and you have and accurate dear slayer at much less then Hammer. I do have some 151 Hammer Absolute loaded for hunting but At $64 /50 v.s. 44/100 I'll be running the SST when the Hammers are gone.

1. Nosler Partition - 150 or 165 grain
  2. Federal Fusion or Speer Gold Dot
  3. Nosler Ballistic Tip.
In that order. I REALLY like the Federal Terminal Ascent bullet. It's only available in 175 grain for the 308 and it's a fairly stout bullet. I'd be concerned about reliable expansion at lower velocity.

I used 168 BT's in Texas in my 308 Win and 165 BT's here in Oregon out of my 30-06. Never had to take more than one shot, always retrieved my harvest. All those shots were from 40 yards to 125 yards. Those longer shots were on from stalking spooked bucks. The closer ones were on buck that never knew I was there. I love the stalk.
I like the 168BT out of my 20" barreled AR 308. Bad medicine for deer and hogs. 165BT, 165SSTs and 165Accubonds work well too.. I also like the 168 Amax but you don't always get an exit. I used it for depredation on deer and hogs. It's a very good bullet for longer ranges. A 150 Accubond works extremely well also.

I hunt in Texas on a friends ranch and have had lots of success with these as well.
That's our bullet testing grounds! LOL
I've loaded many different bullets for him and myself and shot double shouders and lung shots to compare terminal impact.
A good high shoulder shot with either of these will drop them on the spot without having a tracking issue.
I also prefer the shoulder shot as I prefer not to have to hunt deer after I shoot them. With all the water and cutover briar beds we have the last thing you want is for a deer to run after the shot.

I've been really happy with accubond lr 168 in mine. 2 elk, and 2 antelope so far. Both elk around 350 yds, antelope over 400.
That is a bullet I would like to try in 308 as well as the 142 in my 6.5-06. I have used the 129lrab in my 6.5 Grendel and it works. Good bullet with a high BC. The only issue is that they sure do think a lot of them these days as reflected in price.

All Nosler bullets are priced high these days.
Yessir, and fairly scarce it seems. Mighty good bullets though. I use alot of Hornady Eldm's nowadays in 6.5-06 and 6.5 Grendel in a depredation role. They are reasonably priced and they work very well in that role. They kill very well. Noslers are my choice for heavier bucks in a serious hunting roll. My brother has been having very good luck with heavier muscled bucks using the 145 eldx out of a 270 in factory loads. I've never tried the eldx though I have some 143 eldx in 6.5 caliber to work up at some point.

150 - 165 Sierra GK has served me well in .308. Nosler BT works as well but at a slightly higher cost. The old 150 - 165 partition is as dependable as gravity.
I do wish Sierra had just put a green polymer tip on the old straight up Gamekings and made it available in several weights vs the complete redesign in the Gamechanger. I could not get the Gamechanger 165 to shoot well for me In my 308s. Ran out of room in the magazine and it eats up powder space in the case. I like the old lead tip design but the tips take a beating in my ARs.

Yessir, and fairly scarce it seems. Mighty good bullets though. I use alot of Hornady Eldm's nowadays in 6.5-06 and 6.5 Grendel in a depredation role. They are reasonably priced and they work very well in that role. They kill very well. Noslers are my choice for heavier bucks in a serious hunting roll. My brother has been having very good luck with heavier muscled bucks using the 145 eldx out of a 270 in factory loads. I've never tried the eldx though I have some 143 eldx in 6.5 caliber to work up at some point.
Those 155 ELDMs are a good bullet and cheap also. Decent BC and good accuracy. These were $33 per 100 on clearance at Powder Valley.

image.jpg

My son is taking over my 308, a semi custom 308, 20" barrel. I've loaded target rounds for years, shoots 168 BTHP points great. Also, he has used Winchester factory 155 Power Points that have done ok to date, definitely hammer the deer but rarely get a pass through. I'm wanting to load up a round for him that will be predominantly for whitetail in the Southeast. Want to knock them down but also prefer pass through for blood as tracking in heavy brush is common. Most common shots are 100-300 yards where we hunt. Appreciate any suggestions!
Admittedly, I didn't read all posts but any or all N American deer inside 300 yds with .308 Win = 150 or 165 Nosler Accubond or Swift Scirocco. Just don't mix their 2 different jackets in the same bore. Personally, I like the 150 in 24" barrel. For a 20" barrel its probably ideal.