Bullet selection

I'd be really careful on an elk shoulder with that bullet unless he's out there quite a distance.
Why does it not kill the elk, that's a rhetorical question. We've killed 19 elk in the past 6 years with them from 50-630 yards all DRT no tracking. Yes at close range they can come apart but they still kill like nothing else I've ever used.

Why does it not kill the elk, that's a rhetorical question. We've killed 19 elk in the past 6 years with them from 50-630 yards all DRT no tracking. Yes at close range they can come apart but they still kill like nothing else I've ever used.
Just saying don't shoot one in the shoulder. I'm sure they are instant death when they reach the vitals, but you have to get there!

I shot a mule deer buck at 100yds with a 143 eldx last fall in my 6.5 creedmoor. It worked fine. I also shot a cow elk with 140gr berger at 400yds with a 6.5 SAUM. This is a limited sample but both bullets worked great. Both animals dropped in their tracks. I'd use which ever shoots better.

Most of the LR bullets are going to fragment hard at close ranges, still very deadly if kept behind the shoulder. The best compromise is probably the Standard AB. I used the 143 ELDx last 2 seasons accuracy was OK but did not get any passthroughs from 150yds in, PH and 3 deer DRT tho. I switched to LRAB 142gr had deer at 577yds ran 30yds, deer at 75yds pass through and DRT. Hog at 125 yds pass though DRT. So far liking these a lot. Unless you really expect lots of long range shots and setup that way, the AB is the safest bet.

Most of the LR bullets are going to fragment hard at close ranges, still very deadly if kept behind the shoulder. The best compromise is probably the Standard AB. I used the 143 ELDx last 2 seasons accuracy was OK but did not get any passthroughs from 150yds in, PH and 3 deer DRT tho. I switched to LRAB 142gr had deer at 577yds ran 30yds, deer at 75yds pass through and DRT. Hog at 125 yds pass though DRT. So far liking these a lot. Unless you really expect lots of long range shots and setup that way, the AB is the safest bet.
If only the 142lrab was easy to find. Seems as if they are always sold out

I am in the process of building a 6.5 prc and looking for experience with bullets. Trying to decide between the 143 eldx, 140 Berger elite hunter and the 140 accubond. Looking for best hunting performance on deer and elk to 600.
Ive had good luck with the eld's but accubond is a solid bullet for game and expands well ! target wise Id lean toward the berger 140 vld !

Easy decision; Load up about 20 rounds of each, then fire in 5 shot comparisons shoot off. See how the five=-shots of each groups, at your desired distance. Your rifele will show you which it likes best.

The prc should match up well with the new berger 156 coming out, whenever it decides to. I hope that they produce oodles of them because I am sure they will be quite sought after.

I am in the process of building a 6.5 prc and looking for experience with bullets. Trying to decide between the 143 eldx, 140 Berger elite hunter and the 140 accubond. Looking for best hunting performance on deer and elk to 600.
143ELD X because it just works. Accurate and it expands every time.

The 135 classic Berger hunter is great on deer and antelope but elk need more medicine. For me 28 with 195 is minimum and I really prefer 300 RUM with 215 or 230 or 338 with 300 Berger

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.