7SAUM Bullet Selection

Dwest910

All,

I have been doing some research recently as to what bullet to go with in a 7SAUM.

This is a factory build so no extended box, is a short action, etc so I wouldn't have the luxury of seating the heavies out far. Have a 20" proof barrel.

Will be predominantly used for a mountain rifle (hence the shorter barrel) so sheep upto and including elk.

I have shot the 180 hybrids (2735fps) and the 168vldh (2817fps), both with Gunwerks ammo. Both shoot excellent with regards to accuracy.

Does anyone have terminal ballistic performance between the two aforementioned bullets? Any others that might be worth looking at too?

Thank you in advance for your time and I apologize if I missed some recent threads relating to this topic.

Attachments

• B3430A07-5CCC-4124-81FC-C30A90FE6735.jpeg
    B3430A07-5CCC-4124-81FC-C30A90FE6735.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 129
I killed two bucks and a caribou with the 180 VLD's. MV of 3120fps though. They were devastating. I think the hybrids perform similar, but with slightly less violent expansion from what I've heard.

All,

I have been doing some research recently as to what bullet to go with in a 7SAUM.

This is a factory build so no extended box, is a short action, etc so I wouldn't have the luxury of seating the heavies out far. Have a 20" proof barrel.

Will be predominantly used for a mountain rifle (hence the shorter barrel) so sheep upto and including elk.

I have shot the 180 hybrids (2735fps) and the 168vldh (2817fps), both with Gunwerks ammo. Both shoot excellent with regards to accuracy.

Does anyone have terminal ballistic performance between the two aforementioned bullets? Any others that might be worth looking at too?

Thank you in advance for your time and I apologize if I missed some recent threads relating to this topic.
I'd go with the 180 for elk
Your velocities are super low though so you'll have to pay attention to your minimum expansion range.
Personally I'd throat that barrel out and single load if I had to, have you tried RL26?
Might get you in the 2850 range with 180's

I have two Model Sevens in 7mm SAUM and have never fired a bullet heavier than 160 grains in either of them. Factory ammo only so far. No elk or moose to hunt here in Louisiana so no need for heavy bullets. I've been shooting 150 grain bullets in my 7mm Rem Mag since 1989 - both factory and hand loads.

We shot 2 elk, 1 deer, 1 Aoudad,1 oryx from ranges of 540yds to 200yds out of 280AI with 175 Berger EH at 2850fps. Most were pass through, bullets performed flawlessly. I recommend them for your SAUM

I run the 180's right at 2900 fps in a 25 inch barrel with RL 26. Killed lots of animals with it. 2 yrs ago in Africa I think it was 14 animals including 3 Eland. All but 1 were 1 shot kills. Great accuracy for me too.
Bruce

I would stay with the gunwerks 168's if it were me - Have you spoke to gunwerks on terminal performance? the 168 speaks for itself - gunwerks built the business around that bullet!

I'm using the 168gr ABLR in my 7STW, accuracy is excellent and terminal performance is on par with my 6.5's and 300's using the same bullets.
Maybe when the tide brings more Berger's this way I can try some of these newer Berger bullets, but now, the ABLR's just work.

Cheers.

I like the 175 Elite in my .280AI too.
Very accurate, and crushes game.
I have loaded them in a few other .280AIs, 7SAUMs, and 7SSs. All between 2850 w. 22" barrels to 2985 in 26" barrels. RL23, but I bet N565 or RL26 would get even more speed out of them.

I have two Model Sevens in 7mm SAUM and have never fired a bullet heavier than 160 grains in either of them. Factory ammo only so far. No elk or moose to hunt here in Louisiana so no need for heavy bullets. I've been shooting 150 grain bullets in my 7mm Rem Mag since 1989 - both factory and hand loads.
150 ttsx is what I used I'm my 7saum for pigs and deer

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.