6mm varmint bullet selection

70 Btip, 70 BK, 75 Vmax and 70 TNT have all worked well in my 243's, 6Rem and AI's. A little load development, and these should perform as you desire. For longer varmint shots, the 85's and 87's do well.

70 Btip, 70 BK, 75 Vmax and 70 TNT have all worked well in my 243's, 6Rem and AI's. A little load development, and these should perform as you desire. For longer varmint shots, the 85's and 87's do well.
While getting the 55s to scream is fun in itself and while the heavier bullets bc does do a lot better in the wind at distance….

I've played with the numbers a lot and it really does seem to me that 70 grains in the 243 and similar cartridges is a sweet spot of sorts

While getting the 55s to scream is fun in itself and while the heavier bullets bc does do a lot better in the wind at distance….

I've played with the numbers a lot and it really does seem to me that 70 grains in the 243 and similar cartridges is a sweet spot of sorts
Back in the 90's, we were very dedicated to the 70 NBT, but one day, I ordered the bulk plasitic box of 70gr TNT's, and found a load that shot ragged holes at 100yds. Given the volume price of the cheaper TNT's and their performance on target and varmints and we were planning a several day Pdog shoot to South Dakota, we loaded a bulk of those. I never thought I would ever find a bullet or load that shot and performed as well as my 70NBT loads, but after that trip, we all bought several bulk boxes of 70gr TNT's.

Back in the 90's, we were very dedicated to the 70 NBT, but one day, I ordered the bulk plasitic box of 70gr TNT's, and found a load that shot ragged holes at 100yds. Given the volume price of the cheaper TNT's and their performance on target and varmints and we were planning a several day Pdog shoot to South Dakota, we loaded a bulk of those. I never thought I would ever find a bullet or load that shot and performed as well as my 70NBT loads, but after that trip, we all bought several bulk boxes of 70gr TNT's.
Gotta love those "cheap" Speer bullets no one talks about.

The plain old btsp 100 grain is the most accurate projectile I've tried so far out of my old worn out savage 99 in .243.

There is a lot of difference in RPM's between an 8 and a 9 Twist.

75g V max may come apart, and I did not have much luck with the 55s, as they may not like much of a jump if you are looking to shoot small groups.

I have had Great luck out of the 87g V max in 8Twists, around 3250 fps where they shot very tiny groups. Your experience may be a lot different than mine, but My first choice would be the 87s. In the 10 twist, I was getting 3450 fps with the 87s.

Also, the 88g Bergers would be a great option, if there were any to be had.

One main issue is how far the bullet has to jump to the lands, and some bullets are just not jump-tolerant. The

The 8 Twist is a game changer that is intended for use with the 105g bullets, these chamberings usually have a long throat that makes the lighter bullets more difficult to work with.

The discontinued 105g A max was a wonderful bullet for varmints.

Best wishes and good luck.

My go to 6MM bullet since the late 60s has been the Sierria 85 GK HPBT. I have shot a lot of deer and never had a failure, have lifted Prarie dogs 30 feet in the air with pieces going in all directions. Admittedly I use a .22 caliber for most varmints work (would migrate to .20 or even .17 if I wasn't to cheap and to old to buy all the sub .22 equipment) .

That being said I would think the 55 to 70 grain blitzkings or ballistic tips would serve you well. The Hornady v max would probably work as well but I only have personal experience with the 87 grain version.

Critter you are correct with the 55-70g Blitz kings, but he has a very long throat in the chamber complicated by the 8T. The Sierra 85g bthp would be an excellent choice for p. dogs for him, but they have not been on the sierra production schedule for a long time.

87g V max are available, and there were a couple of suppliers that had the 80g nosler ballistic tips a while back. I do not know how effective the 90g Nosler ballistic tips will be on p. dogs.

I was going to mention that I haven't seen the 85 GK anywhere lately. My bullet shelf is slowly changing from green to red because of availability.

Critter, I feel the same way. I have given up on Sierra and Nosler as they have abandoned the Reloading community where they got their start. When I get the Hornady's working, I have the confidence that I can stock up. I am stocked up on the 87g V max(1000) and wish I could stock up on the 87g BTHP as they are great deer killers on broadside shots.

The War in Europe is taking its toll on production for sportsmen and target shooters. The Marines are preparing for war with China and the Army is preparing for a war with the Russians. Local LEO is preparing for general chaos at home and insurrection. I get the components that I can find and I am thankful for the opportunity.

Vince,I also have stocked up on the 87 vmax. I work at the LGS and we had a price increase yesterday. Hornady bullets went up 3 to 4 dollars per box. I wish I could have beat that one. I have also worked up a load for the 7-08 with Hornady bullets. The world is a scary place right now. Why can't we just get along?