6mm Creed or .243???

I have bother calibers. If I could keep just one it would be the 6 creed. I simply prefer the faster twist than what production .243's are made in. Quite frankly If I had a 1:8 twist .243 it would be a coin toss.

I have a 6 creed. You're honestly splitting hairs between the two. Just like the .260 vs 6.5CM debate. The only edge the 6.5CM has on the .260 is brass and awesome on the shelf factory offerings. With the .243 being so popular, the awesome on the shelf offerings that the .260 lacks, becomes null and void when looking at the 6CM vs .243. Either one will do the same job, effectively.

If you want to target shoot with heavy factory ammo go 6creed. If you want a hunter or load your own do whatever you feel like just make sure your twist is fast enough to spin the bullets.

I was a 243 hater for hunting for a long time, the one I'm loading with monos for right now has changed that. Dead as a door nail just as fast as a 3006 lead core.

Both cartridges have good brass support and good dies, it really doesn't matter if you load your own.

I built my 6 Creedmoor for prairie dogs at long range in windy South Dakota after I saw how the little .22 caliber bullets get blown around up there. The Creedmoor worked very well for its intended purpose. I have loaded the Berger 105 hybrid and the Sierra 107 MK and both do very well and are very accurate in the Krieger barrel. The rifle is set up for shooting from a bench or other supported position and I have also used it in a long range match - I wouldn't want to use it for hunting as it's just too heavy.

But as an accuracy focused setup, I'm pleased with the choice of the Creedmoor. It's able to drive the long, high BC bullets to 3000 fps with ease and delivered excellent accuracy out beyond 1000 yds.

Biggest issue between the two if going factory is 10 twist vs 8 in the creed. I shoot both and the .243 is limited to 100 gr lower BC Bullets . I like the 6 creed for deer with a 115 Berger better than the 7"s. I run them over 3100 in 3 different barrels with rl 26. Drops deer dead at 800 yards . Have got exits on lung shots on elk with the 115 with lots of damage internally. 243 with 8 twist do the same thing. Utilize that powder capacity with the heavy bullets and they make a good 1000 gun. Shoot to a mile sometimes for fun !!

I have two 6xc's which I very much like, to throw a curve at you. If I was to choose today it would be the creedmoor. The xc has less case capacity (about 5 grains less) but is a specialty cartridge, not common like the 6mm Creedmoor.

Biggest issue between the two if going factory is 10 twist vs 8 in the creed. I shoot both and the .243 is limited to 100 gr lower BC Bullets . I like the 6 creed for deer with a 115 Berger better than the 7"s. I run them over 3100 in 3 different barrels with rl 26. Drops deer dead at 800 yards . Have got exits on lung shots on elk with the 115 with lots of damage internally. 243 with 8 twist do the same thing. Utilize that powder capacity with the heavy bullets and they make a good 1000 gun. Shoot to a mile sometimes for fun !!
I assume your creed stabilizes the 115,s with an 8 twist? I am at only 800ft here in N Dakota and winters are cold dense air so I ordered a 7.83 twist brux

I assume your creed stabilizes the 115,s with an 8 twist? I am at only 800ft here in N Dakota and winters are cold dense air so I ordered a 7.83 twist brux
With the velocity I run and at 4700 ft elevation it is over 1.5 on Berger stability chart. Bc goes down 2% when below 20 degrees. I shoot them a lot at 1000 and 1200 yards and they shoot good. I might try a little faster twist on next barrel for the 115's or 110's but wouldn't go faster than 8 for the 105.

With the velocity I run and at 4700 ft elevation it is over 1.5 on Berger stability chart. Bc goes down 2% when below 20 degrees. I shoot them a lot at 1000 and 1200 yards and they shoot good. I might try a little faster twist on next barrel for the 115's or 110's but wouldn't go faster than 8 for the 105.
I hear you. Too fast a twist and it turns into a temperamental picky beast

I'm on the fence here, about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a .243 but making sure I'm not going to wish I had looked into 6mm CM! Pros / Cons between the two mentioned would be appreciated..
Well, so far, I have refused to drink the Creedmoor Koolaide but between those two cartridges, I might would consider a 8t, 6mmCM. Nothing wrong with the .243Win and I've owned a throuple but it seems that the cases are always in need of trimming (20 degree shoulder). Make it an 8t, Ackley Improved and it would be a done deal for me. Good luck with your decision.

As people have said, it comes down to the barrel's twist rate. The two cartridges are very similar in performance. The 243 Win has a SAAMI recommended twist rate of 1:10, while the 6 Creedmoor is 1:7.5. If you're buying factory guns and these are the twist rates, I prefer the 6 Creedmoor. If you're building your own and can dictate the twist rate, choose your favorite.

And a .243 caliber can take deer, even at some distance, with modern bullets designed for consistent penetration.

As a lot of people have said, 243 wins by a long shot with factory ammo, but the 6 creedmoor isn't obsolete either honestly, and *IF* it gains the popularity that the 6.5 did then it will soon be just as popular. The creedmoor has a bit better case design as others have also stated, one key point is case length on the creed is slightly more suited for running long heavy bullets... if you reload I don't see a real go to reason to not go with the creedmoor, but perhaps thats a lopsided argument because I've been looking to potentially build in 6creed for the same uses as you.. flip a coin the differences are marginal and no game animal will know the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.